Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2016, 01:53:28 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  Kelt 7.6 Motor Well Modification
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kelt 7.6 Motor Well Modification  (Read 2950 times)
BayRidgeBill
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Kelt 7.6

« on: April 01, 2010, 01:50:21 pm »

I have a Kelt 7.6 (27 foot) sailboat that I really like, but I want to replace the 7 Hp Honda outobard that it came with, with a 9 Hp Honda outboard.  This is not just for the greater power, but for the battery-charging and powered start feature that the larger engine has.  My problem is that the "motor well" that the boat came with accomodates the 7 Hp dimensions just fine, but would have to be modified or replaced with one of proper dimentions (larger hole for the engine).  Has anyone dealt with this problem before-resizing the motor well in a Kelt to accomodate a slightly larger engine?  I hesiate butchering my motor well, if there are any good ideas out there.     
Barney Post
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 05:00:19 pm »

I have a Kelt 7.6 (27 foot) sailboat that I really like, but I want to replace the 7 Hp Honda outobard that it came with, with a 9 Hp Honda outboard.  This is not just for the greater power, but for the battery-charging and powered start feature that the larger engine has.  My problem is that the "motor well" that the boat came with accomodates the 7 Hp dimensions just fine, but would have to be modified or replaced with one of proper dimentions (larger hole for the engine).  Has anyone dealt with this problem before-resizing the motor well in a Kelt to accomodate a slightly larger engine?  I hesiate butchering my motor well, if there are any good ideas out there.   

Forget the well. Close it off. Mount a bracket the can accomodate that size motor. Dont know how that would effect your controls. Don't know what kind of well you have. But most creat a huge amount of drag, and force you to keep your motor down unless you actually lift it out eacht time. You probably already thought about this, but without seeing it, that's the best I can come up with.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length