Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2016, 10:25:57 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Amphora bilge
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Amphora bilge  (Read 2952 times)
Yana de Lys
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Amphora

« on: April 12, 2010, 07:25:29 pm »

I have just purchased a Wauquiez Amphora, and my co-captain wants to fill the deep bilge in about halfway with lead and resin.  I'm not sure if this is a good idea.
His reasoning is sound enough - the boat doesn't have a bilge pump there at present, and he's concerned if we put one at the bottom of the bilge it will be inaccessible when it inevitably clogs up.  She seems to be a well designed vessel and I'm not in any hurry to reinvent the wheel here, so I'm wondering what other boat owners would do in this situation?

I would be very interested in getting in touch with other Amphora owners if there is an online community for example.
Barney Post
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 02:42:29 pm »

I have just purchased a Wauquiez Amphora, and my co-captain wants to fill the deep bilge in about halfway with lead and resin.  I'm not sure if this is a good idea.
His reasoning is sound enough - the boat doesn't have a bilge pump there at present, and he's concerned if we put one at the bottom of the bilge it will be inaccessible when it inevitably clogs up.  She seems to be a well designed vessel and I'm not in any hurry to reinvent the wheel here, so I'm wondering what other boat owners would do in this situation?

I would be very interested in getting in touch with other Amphora owners if there is an online community for example.
Well, reasoning isn't sound to me. I don't get it at all.  Don't do it.
bp
RV
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: none

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 03:39:22 pm »

I would be very interested in hear any views on the Amphora Wauquiez.  I understand they are solid boats, but there are not many in the market.  I am considering purchasing a '79 sloop model.  Any general recommendations, precautions, etc? Also, could you give me a general price range for these boats? Thanks for help. 
Yana de Lys
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Amphora

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 04:16:38 pm »

Hi

My knowledge is limited too.  But ask any French sailor and they get all excited about Wauquiez boats.  Certainly the quality of design is superlative and she's seriously sturdy, with so much style in the fit out.  (Mine was built in 1978, and yes there were only around 150 of them built).  They seem to go for round the $US100K, but I got French champagne on a beer budget (and a hell of a lot of work and money still to invest to bring her back to her youthful beauty and seaworthiness) as the one I bought had languished on the hard stand for six years before I found her.

Good luck.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 12:29:52 pm »

Hi

My knowledge is limited too.  But ask any French sailor and they get all excited about Wauquiez boats.  Certainly the quality of design is superlative and she's seriously sturdy, with so much style in the fit out.  (Mine was built in 1978, and yes there were only around 150 of them built).  They seem to go for round the $US100K, but I got French champagne on a beer budget (and a hell of a lot of work and money still to invest to bring her back to her youthful beauty and seaworthiness) as the one I bought had languished on the hard stand for six years before I found her.

Good luck.

I, for one, would like to know about your progress. Maybe some pictures if you get around to it.

Best of luck.
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length