Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2016, 06:32:30 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  New Information, Corrections, Omissions etc.
| | |-+  Bahama 25 (McGlasson design, Cape Foulweather builder)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bahama 25 (McGlasson design, Cape Foulweather builder)  (Read 11467 times)
marinelite
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Bahama 25 (McGlasson)

« on: April 15, 2010, 10:26:54 am »

At this link for McGlasson designed boats I didn't find a Bahama 25 http://sailboatdata.com/view_designer_by_loa.asp?DESIGNER_ID=222 Not much info anywhere else either. Anyone have information on the boat?
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 11:47:56 am »

At this link for McGlasson designed boats I didn't find a Bahama 25 http://sailboatdata.com/view_designer_by_loa.asp?DESIGNER_ID=222 Not much info anywhere else either. Anyone have information on the boat?

Are you sure it's not the Islander Bahama 24 that you're looking for? This boat is attributed to McGlasson. Is it FG or wood contruction?  Cape Foulweather was a lot later and I don't have hardly any information on boats built by this company, (apparently founded by Mr. McGlasson). SAGA, a user on this forum, was a personal friend of McGlasson.  He may know more about some of the boats built by this company.

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
marinelite
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:13:23 am »

Hi Randy, thanks for your reply. It is not a 24. I have seen them, and this is a different boat. It is fiberglass, fractional sloop, moderate keel w/cutaway forefoot. I'm just looking for details like ballast, beam, sail area, etc. It doesn't have the original foresails, but I think it is the original main. The boat was built in 1971. How do I contact SAGA?

Mike
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 11:04:14 am »

Hi Randy, thanks for your reply. It is not a 24. I have seen them, and this is a different boat. It is fiberglass, fractional sloop, moderate keel w/cutaway forefoot. I'm just looking for details like ballast, beam, sail area, etc. It doesn't have the original foresails, but I think it is the original main. The boat was built in 1971. How do I contact SAGA?

Mike
Interesting. Do you have a photo of it?
Anyway you can go to the members list at the bottom. There is a search function. (user name SAGA) Or you can look in the thread about McGlasson Pilothouse cutter. He just left a message the other day.

Let me know if you have a problem with that.

rb
marinelite
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 10:51:11 am »

She needs new sails, especially the fore sails. Not sure what size or where to find good used sails.
dmb1958
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 02:30:30 am »

In know this is an old thred but thought is was worth a shot.

I think I found another Bahama 25 or Cape Foulweather 25; I see some minor differences but the two gals look like the same boat to me. Did you ever learn anymore about her?
Don
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 09:34:26 am »

She needs new sails, especially the fore sails. Not sure what size or where to find good used sails.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 09:38:54 am »

Sorry to have let this slide. It is obviously a different boat. Unfortunately I probably know less about this boat than you.  Will post if I manage to find anything useful.

Regards,
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT
sailboatdata.com 
marinelite
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 01:43:44 pm »

Thanks for the reply. That pic does look like a Bahama 25. I have no new info. Planning on taking mine down the coast of California this summer from San Francisco to San Diego. Wish me luck and good preparation!
dmb1958
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 08:16:31 pm »

How do you like, the way she sails? I am strongly considering buying this boat. 

I live in near Newport where Cape Foulweather Boat Co. was located and I am a member of the Yaquina Bay Yacht Club; I read somewhere that Joe McGlasson was a one of the founders of the club. I do some local research as time allows maybe I can turn more up.

Good Luck, Don

sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 08:49:45 am »

Good luck Marinelite, and thanks Don.

rb
sailboatdata.com
marinelite
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 02:35:23 pm »

I think she sails well, but I would like to see how she does with new sails! Not great to windward, 45 degrees on a good day. Downwind is a challenge, too, but again, I don't think I have the right sail set up. She always wants to round up going downwind in a breeze. Anyway, maybe she just sails OK and I have a lot of fun anyway???
dmb1958
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 11:26:43 am »

Looks like I may have lucked out and found a little data on the McGlasson Bahama 25. There is on the SF Craigslist I contacted the seller who had a line drawing with some specs. looks like it was put out by manufacture.

Don
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 10:39:30 am »

Looks like I may have lucked out and found a little data on the McGlasson Bahama 25. There is on the SF Craigslist I contacted the seller who had a line drawing with some specs. looks like it was put out by manufacture.

Don
What a find!.  You really deserve an award for this one. In recognition of your achievement, we will have to come up with a new title for your access level.  Then of course you will listed in the  sailboatdata.com Hall of Fame. (as soon as one is created).
I will also need to mention this is my blog. (which I actually do have, though rarely updated).

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 10:53:26 am »

I think she sails well, but I would like to see how she does with new sails! Not great to windward, 45 degrees on a good day. Downwind is a challenge, too, but again, I don't think I have the right sail set up. She always wants to round up going downwind in a breeze. Anyway, maybe she just sails OK and I have a lot of fun anyway???
I'm no expert in these things but, by the look of Don's drawing, this should be a weatherly, close winded boat. (I'm just looking at the narrow beam, relatively deep keel, a fairly modern sailplan. Of course, If she is not well balanced, it could be a challenge. If you ever get around to it, I'd love to see sailing photos.

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length