Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2016, 08:55:34 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  Ancom 23
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ancom 23  (Read 4432 times)
sonosail
Administrator

« on: April 18, 2010, 09:45:23 am »

Thanks to Jack Gutter for sending me this about an Ancom 23. For sale on a few classified sites. The ad says it's a 'Baby Thunderbird'.  Jack surmises that these were built somewhere in Ontario Canada. Be really great if someone knew any more.
Photos attached.
laxingirl
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: 1973 Ancom 23

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 09:56:37 pm »

I actually own the boat pictured there.  It has turned out to be quite the interesting boat, with hard chines along it, although it seems that it has lead a bit of a rough life, and we are doing quite a bit of work on it as it comes out of the water this year.  From what we have been able to piece together, they were built in Ontario, outside of Toronto, but it seems Ancom went out of business after the 1973 season.  The molds were sold to a group of CF soldiers and they made a few of them up in Ottawa for a while, but not too much has been seen since then.  It has a very low waterline in the rear, only sitting about 16 inches off the water, but runs very well when keeled hard to one side or the other.  I can only assume this is due to the hard chines.  Although it looks like a plywood boat, it is 100% fiber glass. 

dataylor
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Ancom 23

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 11:21:26 am »

Hi - nice boat!!  I just bacame owner of an Ancom 23 - been sitting outside for about 2 years and needs some TLC but it is sea worthy once i get it to water...

I am looking for running rigging designs for an Ancom - all help is appreciated
westcoastboat
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Albergs

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 05:01:11 pm »

Hello,
For the record, the Ancom 23 was designed by my father Hans Denhertog in Hamilton, Ontario in the early 70's and, as a teenager I helped him build the molds. The boat was originally called the Frolic 23 and went into production, along with a S&S Classic 31 and S&S Classic 37 in a boatyard in Burlington, Ontario. The original Frolic 23 sold for about $2000 new and many were built and delivered around Southern Ontario, although the company only lasted for about three years. The 23 was a sturdy hard chine sloop that was super fun to sail, glad to see there are still some around. My dad eventually moved back to the west coast and died in 1994.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 10:54:26 am »

Hello,
For the record, the Ancom 23 was designed by my father Hans Denhertog in Hamilton, Ontario in the early 70's and, as a teenager I helped him build the molds. The boat was originally called the Frolic 23 and went into production, along with a S&S Classic 31 and S&S Classic 37 in a boatyard in Burlington, Ontario. The original Frolic 23 sold for about $2000 new and many were built and delivered around Southern Ontario, although the company only lasted for about three years. The 23 was a sturdy hard chine sloop that was super fun to sail, glad to see there are still some around. My dad eventually moved back to the west coast and died in 1994.

Thank you very much. Mystery solved. I wish I had a picture showing her at her best, but one of these will have to do for now.  (not that I don't appreciate the ones that have been posted.)

Was this builder Grampian Marine?
How did it become the Ancom 23?

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 11:16:25 am by sonosail » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length