Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2016, 02:32:17 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  What is it? (Mystery Sailboat model)
| | |-+  It is really a TANZER 16? I don't think so. But what it is???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It is really a TANZER 16? I don't think so. But what it is???  (Read 6215 times)
Froya
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Kirby 25

« on: May 30, 2010, 07:10:44 pm »

Hi,
I was surfing the net in search for a new toy. I've found something unfamiliar to me. the owner describe her as a Tanzer 16. But she does not have the shape of it. But according to the boat indentification it was built by Tanzer.
She has a fireball nose, with 2 daggerboard, 2 tiller and 2 rudder?
Just for my curiosity can you tell me who she is?
Thank you.
Barney Post
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 02:19:44 pm »

Hi,
I was surfing the net in search for a new toy. I've found something unfamiliar to me. the owner describe her as a Tanzer 16. But she does not have the shape of it. But according to the boat indentification it was built by Tanzer.
She has a fireball nose, with 2 daggerboard, 2 tiller and 2 rudder?
Just for my curiosity can you tell me who she is?
Thank you.
Obviously not a Tanzer 16. It's some kind of Scow. A wild guess would be that Tanzer obtained a license to built M-16's or M-20's at some point.  Do you have the the sails for it? And, if so, does does the mainsail have an insignia? I doubt they designed and built thier own scow. Take a look at the drawing of the M-16 and see if this looks like your boat.

bpost
Froya
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Kirby 25

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 02:53:26 pm »

Thank you for the hint.
With your informations, I've finally found that Tanzer, as many other builder, is one of the builder of the M16.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M_Scow
Froya
sunbird10201
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Sailboat, O'DAY DS II

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 04:44:32 pm »

Apparently, at some point in time, Tanzer became the Canadian Builder of several One-Design, Class Boats. I just saw a "TANZERCRAFT FLYING SCOT" on eBay recently. These boats were usually built in the US, but a Canadian Builder would mean lower costs for any Canadian sailers wishing to join the classes.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 01:35:21 pm »

Apparently, at some point in time, Tanzer became the Canadian Builder of several One-Design, Class Boats. I just saw a "TANZERCRAFT FLYING SCOT" on eBay recently. These boats were usually built in the US, but a Canadian Builder would mean lower costs for any Canadian sailers wishing to join the classes.
Never knew that Tanzer built Flying Scots. Are you sure?

rb 
sunbird10201
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Sailboat, O'DAY DS II

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 11:14:56 pm »

I didn't know it either, but the Flying Scot listed on eBay had the same metal ID Plate as this M-16, identifying the builder as "TANZERCRAFT". My assumption is that TANZERCRAFT was a division of TANZER, or possibly these boats pre-date the TANZERs that we are familiar with......? I had always assumed that all of the Flying Scots were built in the USA by Gordon Douglas Boat Co. But, I guess there was a Canadian builder as well.
The boat was in Quebec and has sold, but here is the listing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tanzercraft-Flying-Scot-/260920526164?pt=Sailboats&hash=item3cc0134554#v4-40
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:51:34 pm by sunbird10201 » Logged
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 10:11:34 am »

Builders plate is good enough for me.   Great find. Record edited accordingly. You deserve the 'emeritis' label for that one alone.
Thanks.
Have a great new year.
Randy Browning
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length