Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2016, 01:53:57 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  What is it? (Mystery Sailboat model)
| | |-+  Clark Boat
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clark Boat  (Read 3195 times)
gbv
Pick-up Crew

« on: July 11, 2010, 03:23:55 pm »

I am trying to identify this boat.
The only "plate" we've found is under the transom cover, there is a hole in the plate where someone put a screw.
The part which can still be read is "ST 44   Pi??apple"  There is a number in 2" digits on the pocket the keel is pulled up into for trailering.
The number is 11326 and is covered with resin.  We have measured the length of the hull at 19', beam (widest point) is a scant 6'7".
The rudder is about 47" top to bottom.
I need to see something about this boat, I've never had or used a sailboat until I was given this one. I can tell it needs a lot of minor repairs; but I need to know what to look for in the way of "major repairs"  visually there doesn't appear to be any hull damage.  There is a pair of square 'holes' in the stern, one is covered and one is open.HELP!
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 05:07:55 pm »

I am trying to identify this boat.
The only "plate" we've found is under the transom cover, there is a hole in the plate where someone put a screw.
The part which can still be read is "ST 44   Pi??apple"  There is a number in 2" digits on the pocket the keel is pulled up into for trailering.
The number is 11326 and is covered with resin.  We have measured the length of the hull at 19', beam (widest point) is a scant 6'7".
The rudder is about 47" top to bottom.
I need to see something about this boat, I've never had or used a sailboat until I was given this one. I can tell it needs a lot of minor repairs; but I need to know what to look for in the way of "major repairs"  visually there doesn't appear to be any hull damage.  There is a pair of square 'holes' in the stern, one is covered and one is open.HELP!

It's a Lightning Class Sailboat. Over 16000 have been built world wide, but few were built by Clark.

See more here: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_ID=2913
If you go to class site you should be able to figure out what year it was built.

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
gbv
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 06:34:13 pm »

Where should I go for help redoing the rigging?  I am supposed to get the mast and I have the lower stick for the sail.  Everything else is a question.  There are some pieces of nylon in a bag, should be sails but I haven't seen them yet.
S
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 11:12:33 am »

Since the Lightning is a very popular class you should be able to find another one, (depending where you are) to see how they are rigged. Originally they had wood masts. Switched to an aluminum rectangular section in the 1970's. And then finally an oval (untapered) extrusion. The Lightning class website is your best bet to get oriented as to what you might need.

rb
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 04:32:31 am »

I keep meaning to implement a 'recommended' book section. Obviously it hasn't happened yet.  You might want to find a good 'learn to sail' book. This might not be the IDEAL learning boat, but not bad either as it is fairly forgiving. Try to find one that is illustrated with general rigging instructions for a 'sloop'  rig sailboat. That is, one that shows a boat with a main a jib like this boat. Learning the basics of sailing is pretty simple. Just the terminology that makes things a little less than obvious.

Good luck with he boat.
Randy Browning     
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length