Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2016, 08:41:17 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  Alcort Minifish 14' - looking for a mast
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alcort Minifish 14' - looking for a mast  (Read 4278 times)
bharrrisjr
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Alcort Minifish

« on: July 25, 2010, 06:56:06 am »

A friend borrowed by 14' AMF Alcort Minifish last summer and somehow misplaced the mast (!). I've been looking high and low for a replacement - eBay, Craig's List, Google Classifieds. Does anyone have any ideas where I might find one? Obviously without the mast I'm dead in the water (sorry for the pun).

Thanks mucho!

BH
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 08:14:32 am »

A friend borrowed by 14' AMF Alcort Minifish last summer and somehow misplaced the mast (!). I've been looking high and low for a replacement - eBay, Craig's List, Google Classifieds. Does anyone have any ideas where I might find one? Obviously without the mast I'm dead in the water (sorry for the pun).

Thanks mucho!

BH

Is it the lateen version or the cat rig version?  Do you have the original sail? You should figure out if the socket/hole for the mast is the same size as that of  the sunfish.  If that's the case,  use a sunfish rig which is probably much easier to find.  The rig on the minifish is slightly smaller in area which shouldn't be that big a deal.  There is a sunfish group on Yahoo which I wold check out.

rb
bharrrisjr
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Alcort Minifish

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 05:53:50 pm »

RB,

Thanks much for your response. I bought the boat used a number of years ago and don't know much about it. I'm not sure, for example, what you mean by the lateen vs. cat rig version. The boat does have the original sail, which is in good condition. I'll have to measure the mast hole in the Mini and find a full-sized sunfish to get its measurement and see what I can do from there. I'll also check out the sunfish sight on Yahoo!

Thanks again,

BH
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 06:58:07 am »

The drawing that appears on this site of the Minifish shows the lateen rig, which is probably what you have.

Best of luck.
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
Cormorant
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Jouėt Caprice, Vaurien

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 01:07:32 pm »

You can get them on ebay for about $200 :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Sunfish-Minifish-Sail-Boat-Mast-Booms-Spar-Parts-/200452454642?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eabe5b8f2

But they are only worth about $50 so it's up to you. You can probably get a used mini for less (we picked up one for $100 at a garage sale...)

Alternatively, you could just make one. Not that hard, just get the right diamater alu tubing, fill it with foam, cap bottom,  put a ring on top and voilą!  ;D

I'd rather be sailing
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length