Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2016, 01:50:17 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  New Information, Corrections, Omissions etc.
| | |-+  Jout Caprice
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jout Caprice  (Read 10734 times)
Cormorant
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Jout Caprice, Vaurien

« on: August 24, 2010, 11:04:27 pm »

Hi there, great site:)

I have some information that you can use to compliment your page on the Jout Caprice.
I am putting together a nuts and bolts info page on it (in French) at http://www.jouetcaprice.com

There are scanned images from the manual, where you can get the various profiles to illustrate the data page.

Also the first caprices started to appear in 1969 and not 1970. Mine is from 1971, but I do not know of any that are 1972 so it may be that the Fandango took precedence over it that year, though I continue to search.

You can see her official measurements here: http://www.jouetcaprice.com/jouet-caprice-guide.html including the sail dimensions. To compliment what already exists on your site at http://www.sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=5619

I am missing Page 3 of the manual however, so if anyone has this I would be thrilled :)

I am currently in the process of restoring mine (1971, number 75) http://monjouet.ryan-anderson.com

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:10:30 pm by Cormorant » Logged

I'd rather be sailing
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 07:58:26 am »

Hi there, great site:)

I have some information that you can use to compliment your page on the Jout Caprice.
I am putting together a nuts and bolts info page on it (in French) at http://www.jouetcaprice.com

There are scanned images from the manual, where you can get the various profiles to illustrate the data page.

Also the first caprices started to appear in 1969 and not 1970. Mine is from 1971, but I do not know of any that are 1972 so it may be that the Fandango took precedence over it that year, though I continue to search.

You can see her official measurements here: http://www.jouetcaprice.com/jouet-caprice-guide.html including the sail dimensions. To compliment what already exists on your site at http://www.sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=5619

I am missing Page 3 of the manual however, so if anyone has this I would be thrilled :)

I am currently in the process of restoring mine (1971, number 75) http://monjouet.ryan-anderson.com

Thanks for the pics. I can't wait to have a look at the site. I'll get back to you. Difficult to find much on Jouet models. (My less than adequate knowlege of the language doesn't help.)
In the mean time, best of luck with the restoration.
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
Cormorant
Member Emeritus

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 08:42:34 am »

Difficult to find much on Jouet models.

This it is!

On a side note, not that I saw it mentioned here, but note that it is Jout and not Jouet. A common mis-conception by non French speakers is that it means "toy" :)  Jouet (pronouncet jooway) means toy, but Jout (pronounced joowet) is a name, like Bob, or Joe. :)

Let me know if there is anything I can help you locate here in France, I'd be happy to help out. Note that you can purchase many reviews here: http://www.bateauxonline.fr/index.php/essais/btxtous?view=btxtous&energie=1&id=2 though they are in French...

I am currently putting together the story of Yachting France. Hopefully I'll have something interesting for the site one of these days

I'd rather be sailing
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 11:28:31 am »

Thank you for clarifying the name. I think I have it right in a few places and wrong in others. There may be a slight technical problem in that all the information here is stored in a MSSQL database. How it alphabetises certain characters, and the current char set is something I need to look into further. But I am most grateful in receiving your posts concerning these models from 'Yachting France??' . 
So much so, that I am hereby appointing you the sailboatdata.com in residence expert on Yachting France, Emeritus. The benefits of receiving such a pinacle of noteriety are, well, I know I will think of something.....but I'll need to get back to you on that.
And I know you have your own blog anyway. But I can tell you that I, for one, sincerely hope that you follow through with your plan to create an 'archive' for these boats. And should you do so, I will checking in on it frequently.
I just hope you check in here every once in a while, because I have number of questions I would like to ask.

By the way, you might be amazed at the number of the original GOLIF and TIBURON models were that were imported to the US. Many are still around.

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
Cormorant
Member Emeritus

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 01:01:28 pm »

Thank you for clarifying the name.
No problem :) It is understandable. Unfortunately so many non-french speaking people think it means 'toy' (Jouet). It actually comes from the old shipyard founded by Mr. Paul Jout at Sartrouville back in the day.

There may be a slight technical problem in that all the information here is stored in a MSSQL database. How it alphabetises certain characters, and the current char set is something I need to look into further.
If your database is set up in UTF8 as the character set you should be ok.  If you are in the old default latin1 then that's when you'll have problems with accented letters. I don't know how much into that you are, but anyway, it's best to be sure you are using UTF8...

But I am most grateful in receiving your posts concerning these models from 'Yachting France??' .
So much so, that I am hereby appointing you the sailboatdata.com in residence expert on Yachting France, Emeritus.
Oh, dear lordy :)  haha First of all, it is hell. I am currently reading through old legal documents describing why the brand was dissolved (related to banks, and loans etc...), and it is quite complex. Well, it seems many many boat owners are looking for this info, so someone needs to do it!

The benefits of receiving such a pinacle of noteriety are, well, I know I will think of something.....
Pain and suffering?  ;)

I just hope you check in here every once in a while, because I have number of questions I would like to ask.
I'll be around for a while, I'm an IT guy hahaha

By the way, you might be amazed at the number of the original GOLIF and TIBURON models were that were imported to the US.
Now that IS interesting!

A large number of these Jout boats were built at Sartrouville (ok, the l'Alouette 5.5j.i., the Jout 17, 18 , 22, 24, 27, 32, 36, 480, 550, 650, 680, 920, 940, 1040, 1280...), which is just next to where I live (actually, it is between where I live and where my boat is being worked on (ASM Club de Voile). I have actually sailed past it on numerous occasions in my little Vaurien.  I have been meaning to go there by land and see if I cannot find a trace of the old factory, or people that may have worked there etc. Anyway...

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 07:09:18 am by Cormorant » Logged

I'd rather be sailing
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 09:31:36 am »

I wish I could find you page 3 of the manual. (I checked the UK site that has a  lot of this stuff but nothing for the Caprice) 
Something tells me that it won't seriously impede your progress in restoring the boat. Remember, you can't let any of this interfere with you role as official Yachting France/Jout historian. We're counting on you!
Added a link to your caprice site to the caprice record. STOLE the drawing that it lead me to. Hope you don't mind.
I have an old photo of the factory where they were rolling out the GOLIF. I can't find it at the moment and maybe you've already seen it anyway. Truly amazing. There must have been 30 hulls in a row, in different stages of assemply. A real assembly line.
If you happen to stumble into a particularly glaring error (on even less than glaring, of which there are probably many), feel free to point them out.
I will check into your blog to monitor your progress.
Thanks for stopping by.

Regards,
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
sailboatdata.com
Cormorant
Member Emeritus

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 10:21:42 am »

I wish I could find you page 3 of the manual.
Thanks Randy, I'm sure I'll eventually dig it up :)

(I checked the UK site that has a  lot of this stuff but nothing for the Caprice)
Yes, this is something of a trend, and I don't know why yet. It's a great boat, so I can't imagine why it did not become more popular. From what I read in a review, it was priced particularly high at that time, and so probably people went to the model higher. In this Yaching France poster, note that it fills in the missing gap perfectly between the 680 (top of the smaller models) and the 760 (bottom of the larger models):

however then the slightly smaller Jout 24 came into the picture 9 years later, though there are a bunch of these about. One thing that everyone notices about the Caprice - she's very fast (you can tell just by looking at her too). Anyway, These are the sorts of questions I'm working on answering on the Caprice site.

Something tells me that it won't seriously impede your progress in restoring the boat. Remember, you can't let any of this interfere with you role as official Yachting France/Jout historian. We're counting on you!
hahahahaha  :D

Added a link to your caprice site to the caprice record.
Hey, thanks! Hopefully someone will find that as a little treasure

I'd rather be sailing
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 04:30:32 pm »

A 'treasure' it is! As is all you have come up with.
Thanks.
rb
Cormorant
Member Emeritus

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 11:52:18 am »

Not to go on and on and on about this one, but I found the definitive answer by a press release by Yachting France as to the origins of the Jout Caprice:

Here I translate from ze French:

"...With the Caprice, Yachting France completes its range of livable sailboats, which now has a continuity of size and prices. The Caprice (...) is meant to fill the gap between the Calife and the Rgent. Its primary requirement was to be fast (insert list of regatta wins here bla bla bla etc. ) and its second criteria was to be livable....

I'll stop on this subject unless otherwise solicited, as I'll be putting all this sort of stuff on the boat's new website  :P

I'd rather be sailing
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 06:49:49 am »

There will always be a 'solicitor', even if it's only me.  We'll allow you some time off though.  We know you need to work on your site(s), finish your boat, and continue with the ever important research project that we have assigned you. Not to mention that you may, in fact, have a real job by which you make an actual living and all that other distasteful stuff. 
In any case, your contrubution, as always, is greatly appreciated.
rb
Cormorant
Member Emeritus

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 02:57:20 pm »

Thought it would be fun to just post some photos of the restored Jout Caprice to give a better idea of the boat than in the photo I originally posted:

She's definitely a boat of her period, but you know, I really enjoy the personality of sailboats of that era.

I'd rather be sailing
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 04:49:51 pm »

I like the one's of this period also. And, of course, there was actually a market for boats of this size then.  Unfortunately, those days are gone. But, as I've said before, you've done such a terrific restoration.

Randy Browninig
sailboatdata.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length