Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2016, 11:41:58 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  New Information, Corrections, Omissions etc.
| | |-+  The Zef
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Zef  (Read 11122 times)
Cormorant
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Jout Caprice, Vaurien

« on: August 27, 2010, 12:59:40 pm »

these cute little beauties are all over the place :) I just about picked one up the other day too! They have a huge amount of sail for their size, and with their rounded hull, they tend to tip over a lot, but it is a classic here in France.

Over 15,000 of them were made (not bad for France in the 60's), and spawning a bunch of copies. The Zef is one of the boats that is attributed to democratizing leisure sailing in France.

You can see where they fit in size- and design-wise in this comparative poster I pulled together of some popular little dinghies:

You can see how it closely resembles the popular Caneton (monotype 57 http://asproca.synthasite.com/le-caneton-57.php )

Here is a manufacturer brochure of the period showing the Zef (though also their spin-offs) : http://oceanix.voila.net/doclaprairie/laprairie.htm

oops. I digress :)

I'd rather be sailing
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 04:26:33 pm »

Just wonderful.  How could I have missed the Zef? It will added shortly.
Please. 'Digress' all you wish. Wow. There may be  treasure trove of other stuff.
Wish I could read French better.

Thanks.
rb
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 11:03:11 am »

these cute little beauties are all over the place :) I just about picked one up the other day too! They have a huge amount of sail for their size, and with their rounded hull, they tend to tip over a lot, but it is a classic here in France.

Over 15,000 of them were made (not bad for France in the 60's), and spawning a bunch of copies. The Zef is one of the boats that is attributed to democratizing leisure sailing in France.

You can see where they fit in size- and design-wise in this comparative poster I pulled together of some popular little dinghies:

You can see how it closely resembles the popular Caneton (monotype 57 http://asproca.synthasite.com/le-caneton-57.php )

Here is a manufacturer brochure of the period showing the Zef (though also their spin-offs) : http://oceanix.voila.net/doclaprairie/laprairie.htm

oops. I digress :)

I'm trying to figure out the 'Caneton' class idea. 'duckling'?  I'm assuming the class today known as the Canteton is actually the '57',  version. (by Cornu)  And the later Caneton Strale is simply known as the Strale which seems to have Italian origins.
Thanks
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
Cormorant
Member Emeritus

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 11:44:08 am »

Yes, the little duck :)  quack !
Boat names in France have a real sence of humor. Take the Vaurien for example, pronounced "Vaut Rien" which means ("worth nothing", "worthless", or "inexpensive") :)

Back to the little duckling, this may help: http://asproca.synthasite.com/les-differents-canetons.php

Haha here, I have a photo of me standing on one (the 57) giving a sailing class (our club has 5 or 6 of these - just to give you an idea of their presence):

Does that help any??

I'd rather be sailing
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 06:35:41 am »

Just wonderful.  How could I have missed the Zef? It will added shortly.
Please. 'Digress' all you wish. Wow. There may be  treasure trove of other stuff.
Wish I could read French better.

Thanks.
rb

Added Zef:
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_ID=6457
Commentary a bit weak.  I can't figure who designed it.
I'll probably add the Zef Junior. There's another 'La Prairie' site somewhere that covers the Hurbulot 'Oceanix variants pretty thoroughly. 
I love these bulbous looking mini-cruisers from the 1960's that really brought 'yachting' to the 'not so rich' folks. Like the Golifs, the Hurbulots boats, Tucker designs in the UK, .  Americans, by in large, liked more tradtional looking boats, even after the introduction of GRP. (Many exceptions, of course.)
rb
Cormorant
Member Emeritus

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 02:48:00 pm »

If you are looking for the designer of a boat in French, use the keyword "architecte".

Anyways, it was designed by Michel Nivelt, and you can add that at the waterline it is 3 meters.

I love these bulbous looking mini-cruisers from the 1960's that really brought 'yachting' to the 'not so rich' folks.
I could not agree with you more. And ask any sailor here in France and instantly you see eyes gloss over with fond memories of sailing in them, with a story that starts with 'I remember when I had my..."

I'd rather be sailing
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 04:25:15 pm »

If you are looking for the designer of a boat in French, use the keyword "architecte".

Anyways, it was designed by Michel Nivelt, and you can add that at the waterline it is 3 meters.

I love these bulbous looking mini-cruisers from the 1960's that really brought 'yachting' to the 'not so rich' folks.
I could not agree with you more. And ask any sailor here in France and instantly you see eyes gloss over with fond memories of sailing in them, with a story that starts with 'I remember when I had my..."

Not to belabor the point. Another reason I have a soft spot for these particular designs, to the exclusion of most others of the period, they made no attempt to make them look like wooden (planked) boats of the past and took every advantage of the new materials, GRP or plywood. 
rb
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 04:36:17 pm by sonosail » Logged
corey9190
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: La Prairie ZEF

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 09:55:27 am »

hi guys, i recently acquired a Zef and want to know more about it, i cant find any real info about other than whats on this site. my main concerns are how to properly rig her and how to fly a spinnaker on her and the spinnakers dimensions to have one made.

if any one has information about the zef

please email me - corey.hubbard7@gmail.com

thanks
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 12:51:52 pm »

hi guys, i recently acquired a Zef and want to know more about it, i cant find any real info about other than whats on this site. my main concerns are how to properly rig her and how to fly a spinnaker on her and the spinnakers dimensions to have one made.

if any one has information about the zef

please email me - corey.hubbard7@gmail.com

thanks

This was a really popular boat in France. A few were sold in the US, (I've seen a US brochure) but not that many.
You probably won't find much useful information that isn't in French. (I wish I could help more but my French isn't so great).
I have visited a French site that talks about the builder 'La Prarie', but mostly about the larger trailer-sailors and not too much about the dinghies. 
I don't think there was ever a Zef one-design class.  There were a number of different sizes and versions, and numerous changes were made over the years.
If you are going to spend money on sails, you want to get some very detailed photo's, make some very detailed measurements, and get in touch with a sailmaker that, maybe,  has a branch loft in France or something, that hopefully can figure out which Zef model you have. 
I expect you to return with an enormous amount of information to share on this subject. The title I propose is: 'All about the Zef' by Corey.

Regards,
Randy Bowning
kak
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: La Prairie Zef

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 02:45:33 pm »

Hello All!
 I'm representing my internet-less friend looking for a rudder (or rudder specs) and rudder hardware for a Zef.
Thanks for any info!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length