Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 09, 2016, 07:59:57 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  KEEL DESIGN CORONADO 30
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: KEEL DESIGN CORONADO 30  (Read 3279 times)
roberttravler50
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: 1970 CORONADO 30

« on: August 31, 2010, 06:01:29 pm »

Any and all info on the adjustable fin and how and why it is used , 1970 model ???
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 06:33:42 am »

Any and all info on the adjustable fin and how and why it is used , 1970 model ???
I think  you are referring to the trim tab.  It was popular on IOR racing boats during this period, but rare on a boat of this size. Theoretically it should create additional lift when the boat is sailing to windward.  Also, if there is a mechanism for linking it to the rudder, it might make the boat more manuverable in close quarters (when linked).  How effective it is in either capacity is hard for me to say. Is this a boat that you are looking at, or one that you already own?
Randy Browning
roberttravler50
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: 1970 CORONADO 30

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 06:30:16 pm »

this is a boat that i have been chasing for four years, waiting for the price to be right and it has reached my range as it will have to be trucked to my shop, some 700 miles. isent request to the broker about the keel, he did not have a clue, and im due to be there in two weeks and would like to know what to look for and if it is working properly. thanks for a starting point, lets see if there is some more info out there
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 08:48:45 am »

this is a boat that i have been chasing for four years, waiting for the price to be right and it has reached my range as it will have to be trucked to my shop, some 700 miles. isent request to the broker about the keel, he did not have a clue, and im due to be there in two weeks and would like to know what to look for and if it is working properly. thanks for a starting point, lets see if there is some more info out there
You could try boatdesign.net
You may get 200 opinions about how effective it is, or effective at all.., wonderful or terrible,...etc...  I wouldn't worry about it so much. Just so it doesn't leak, is structurally sound etc. You could just lock it and glass it in if you wanted to. 
Personally, I think it could be a nice feature. You may be able to use it to balance the helm for different conditions. I would love to see some pictures of it, if you can get some. From the drawing, it looks you need to go below to adjust it. Are you sure that all Coronado 30's actually have this thing? It could have been an option.  It would have had to add considerably to the expense of the boat.   

rb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length