Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2016, 03:21:36 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Going out of business...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Going out of business...  (Read 3810 times)
Cormorant
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Jouët Caprice, Vaurien

« on: September 07, 2010, 12:34:35 pm »

Ah economic recessions.

They are excellent for killing sailboat manufacturers, since leisure items are first to go.

Anyway Randy, I see you have been busy with Beneteau. They are about ready to go the way of Yachting France, just so you know. Last year they were big news here in France as they are seeing a loss in profits of nearly 50%  There were nearly 1,000 employees laid off last year.

I'd rather be sailing
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 08:15:58 am »

Ah economic recessions.

They are excellent for killing sailboat manufacturers, since leisure items are first to go.

Anyway Randy, I see you have been busy with Beneteau. They are about ready to go the way of Yachting France, just so you know. Last year they were big news here in France as they are seeing a loss in profits of nearly 50%  There were nearly 1,000 employees laid off last year.
That is really sad. So you think they will just close up shop completely? Awful that so many people are out of a job.
And what about all the other dying brands that they bought out, Jeanneau, Gibsea, etc.
I hadn't heard anything about the American factory.  Can't imagine they are doing much better.

By the way.
Sorry I haven't responded yet to some of you're other really interesting posts. I have another little job in the works that I need to finish up. Hope boat resotration is going well.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 08:36:09 am »

Ah economic recessions.

Again, quite sad. Although I just learned that Beneteau USA is displaying 3 fairly large models at an upcoming boat show here.  So they couldn't be doing all that poorly. Difficult to know for sure because these types of things are usually sponsored by area dealers. 
rb 
Cormorant
Member Emeritus

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 09:10:40 am »

I seem to remember reading something about the US market being somewhat isolated (in terms of new boat sales) from the economic problems, and that 80 percent of Beneteau sales come from the US. So it may be that somehow the US side of things is holding together better. I'll look around the news and see if I can find an update on how they are doing.

Found this: http://www.capital.fr/bourse/actualites/beneteau-revendique-une-croissance-de-15-pour-2009-2010-528291

According to the article, last years massive lay-offs helped reduce expenses and let them ride out the economic crisis, and their sales network (read: USA) is helping them sell well.
Perhaps seeing the three new models was part of that scheme ;)

At any rate, looks like they are going to keep going :) close call!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 09:15:27 am by Cormorant » Logged

I'd rather be sailing
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 02:39:51 pm »

Right. Of course HERE, ....a company can hire you in the morning, and lay you off before lunch. Besides the economic benefits and drawbacks, as well as the huge political baggage that goes along with this, especially these days ..... too depressing to think aboutl....

How's the the restoration going? I may not have checked the blog lately. Is there anything I can  do to help?  (Very safe thing to ask when you are an ocean away!)
Have to admit, for the most part, my 'fixeruper' days are behind me.  But maybe something else?

Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT

Cormorant
Member Emeritus

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 01:59:57 pm »

How's the the restoration going? I may not have checked the blog lately. Is there anything I can  do to help?  (Very safe thing to ask when you are an ocean away!)

The restoration of the Jouët Caprice is coming along well, we're working on the new cabin teak sole: http://monjouet.ryan-anderson.com/post/2010/09/20/Custom-teak-sole-construction-in-photos

But otherwise $dayjob has been keeping me out of trouble  ;)

I'd rather be sailing
Cormorant
Member Emeritus

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 02:41:46 pm »

Quick update : http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/news/500965/b-n-teau-sees-huge-sales-increase

"The world's biggest sailboat builder has announced 16 per cent growth in its 2009-2010 financial figures. The Bénéteau Group, owner of the Bénéteau, Jeanneau and Lagoon brands, recorded €573.7million in sales from its boatbuilding sector over the year, which ended on August 31."

This paragraph is revealing however:

"Although sailboats account for 44 per cent of the group's sales, it also has significant interests in housebuilding and its property business achieved sales growth of almost 25 per cent."

I'd rather be sailing
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length