Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2016, 08:41:23 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  New Information, Corrections, Omissions etc.
| | |-+  Hughes 29
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hughes 29  (Read 4051 times)
scrat
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: hughes 29

« on: September 08, 2010, 02:39:30 pm »

The data that you show for the Hughes 29 Is wrong.  The picture of the Hughes you show is a Hughes 29 designed by Howard Hughes of Hughes Boat works in Ontario Canada.  Howard was friends with the late Olin Stephens and was influenced by him.  They made just over 200 of the Hughes 29 designed in 1968 and produced 1969 until 1972 when Howard and Peter (his brother) left the company which was sold.  After speaking with Howard (lives in ontario and winters in Naples Florida) there was no tall rig, only one rig was made.  I also own a Hughes 29 and have a web site devoted to it.  http://danceonavolcano.ca/hughes.htm which outlines the history of the company and information on the boat all edited and corrected by Howard himself.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 05:20:38 am »

The data that you show for the Hughes 29 Is wrong.  The picture of the Hughes you show is a Hughes 29 designed by Howard Hughes of Hughes Boat works in Ontario Canada.  Howard was friends with the late Olin Stephens and was influenced by him.  They made just over 200 of the Hughes 29 designed in 1968 and produced 1969 until 1972 when Howard and Peter (his brother) left the company which was sold.  After speaking with Howard (lives in ontario and winters in Naples Florida) there was no tall rig, only one rig was made.  I also own a Hughes 29 and have a web site devoted to it.  http://danceonavolcano.ca/hughes.htm which outlines the history of the company and information on the boat all edited and corrected by Howard himself.

Thank you for providing this information. I have looked at your excellent web site and will place a link from my Huges 29 record if you don't mind.
Glad to hear the Mr. Huges is still around. After reading your historical synopsis, I realize you must be right about the design credit and will make the appropriate changes.
As a person who has personally spoken to Mr. Hughes, you have now become the 'de facto' best authority on all thing  to do with Hughes Yachts.
I have a few questions of my own about the origins of some of the Hughes models.
Unfortunately, I will need to ask them in a separate post. I'm in the middle of a separate job at the moment and I don't have the time to put together the necessary material.
Just wanted to express my appreciation for correcting these errors.

Regards,
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT
sailboatdata.com
scrat
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 11:27:56 am »

Thank you.  Yes please post the web site address where you see fit.  I am in the process of getting more info from Howard.  He is checking to see if he has any records at home since most of the company's paperwork was lost in the fire. Howard has a Hughes 40 and his son Chris who is a commericial pilot dabbles in buying used Hughes boats and restoring them and then selling it. And I think Peter still works in the RV side of things.

Bill Sokil
http://danceonavolcano.ca/hughes.htm
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 10:01:20 am »

If you get a chance:
A couple of people, (who happen to have an interest in this kind of thing), were wondering what THIS boat is:
It was advertised for sale as a Hughes 22. But it doesn't look the drawings I have of that model.
The manufacturers plate seems to indicate a NORTH STAR 22 which has a swing keel and transom hung rudder, unlike this boat.

It is a bit of a mystery. possibly of the type that only Howard could solve.

Just thought I'd ask.

Randy Browning
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 10:10:49 am by sonosail » Logged
scrat
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 04:31:26 pm »

I will try and see what Howard has to say although I have noticed quite a few boats for sale stating they are Hughes Northstar 22's.  Most have been the swing keel model but there are quite a few in our area, Ontario (where they were built) that are also full keel models as the one you picture. the best pictures I could find are of a hughes 22 for sale here which seems to match the one you are inquiring about It is listed on Kijiji although I dont know how long it will be posted
http://kingston.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-other-Sailboat-Hughes-Northstar-22-W0QQAdIdZ226602100
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 08:32:08 am »

I will try and see what Howard has to say although I have noticed quite a few boats for sale stating they are Hughes Northstar 22's.  Most have been the swing keel model but there are quite a few in our area, Ontario (where they were built) that are also full keel models as the one you picture. the best pictures I could find are of a hughes 22 for sale here which seems to match the one you are inquiring about It is listed on Kijiji although I dont know how long it will be posted
http://kingston.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-other-Sailboat-Hughes-Northstar-22-W0QQAdIdZ226602100
Yes, that appears to be the same boat. Maybe the Northstar 22 is different than the Hughes 22.
It looks like the fin keel version just has to be longer than swing keel version, what with the spade rudder and skeg.
I know this might evolve into an interrogation, but you might also ask him about him if our guess is right about the Nutmeg 24(Tanzer) - Hughes 24- Hughes 25 progression.sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_ID=6188
You might also tell him what a revered figure he is here at sailboatdata.com, (which will be completely meaningless to him, no doubt).
rb
rb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length