Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2016, 10:26:12 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  help with identify a yard
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: help with identify a yard  (Read 2822 times)
zoombats
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: KDY 15 SQ.M. (junior folkboat)

« on: September 29, 2010, 05:30:50 am »

Hi, I am new to this forum but not the site. I need some help identifying the yard of a Peterson/Formosa 46. The boat is located in the far East and I am preparing to undertake a survey and have the boat hauled. My research tells me that the boat is a Formosa built boat because of the interior layout but the number carved on the beam carries some conflicting numbers. There's an NRT accompanying the serial number and other information from the broker and an old survey shows build numbers that conflict with those suggested on other websites. Any ideas?
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 03:35:54 pm »

Hi, I am new to this forum but not the site. I need some help identifying the yard of a Peterson/Formosa 46. The boat is located in the far East and I am preparing to undertake a survey and have the boat hauled. My research tells me that the boat is a Formosa built boat because of the interior layout but the number carved on the beam carries some conflicting numbers. There's an NRT accompanying the serial number and other information from the broker and an old survey shows build numbers that conflict with those suggested on other websites. Any ideas?
I can only suggest you try this website: www.kp44.org

Regards,
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
zoombats
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 05:13:54 am »

Thanks Randy. I have been on that site a lot and all the information given indicates that the identity numbers are on the transom and always indicate the date and in the case of the Formosa, an FBB for formosa boat builder. This boat is a Peterson/Formosa 46 but the details carved over the companionway are confusing. I just had the thought that it might be a registration number as it appears to show tonnage.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 09:34:48 am »

I thought all Formosa's were from TaChiao. I doubt that it was originally sold under the name Peterson/Formosa.  It seems unikely that Peterson received any royalties.

rb
zoombats
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 09:36:21 am »

I agree with you on the yard being Ta Chiau, and the builder of the Formosa. The broker is calling the boat a Peterson 46 and I maintain that is wrong.I only use Peterson/Formosa 46 as my own description. There are many credible sites out there, this being one of them, that have made it common knowledge about the conflict with Ta Chiau and their reluctance to acknowledge Peterson for his design. I had mentioned earlier though that I have seen conflicting serial numbers that are confusing to me. One i have seen on a video of the boat and the other on an old surveyers report. Niether one correspond to those listed in kp44.org. Before I undertake a survey, haul out and a visit to the vessel I just wanted to be sure of the yard. I have had confirmation that it is TaChiau.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length