Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2016, 04:47:35 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  Flying Dutchman Accessories
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Flying Dutchman Accessories  (Read 2503 times)
Windchaser57
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Flying Dutchman

« on: October 07, 2010, 06:39:13 pm »

I am in the process of restoring a early model Flying Dutchman built by ALPA. The boat belonged to my father who passed away last November after a long bout with Lung Cancer. The sails and Center Board were destroyed in a fire. I am looking for information of where I can get the designs to build or purchase a center board for this boat and does anyone know where I can purchase new or used sails for this class of boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 09:42:37 am »

I am in the process of restoring a early model Flying Dutchman built by ALPA. The boat belonged to my father who passed away last November after a long bout with Lung Cancer. The sails and Center Board were destroyed in a fire. I am looking for information of where I can get the designs to build or purchase a center board for this boat and does anyone know where I can purchase new or used sails for this class of boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

These boats were never that big in the US, (is spite of, or because of it's Olympic status).  Just to satisfy my own curiousity, I just checked, and they did hold a US nationals this year.
Finding used sails will be easier than finding a used board, but if you keep on it, you could find one. The best place to start is here: http://www.sailfd.org/USA/
Here is a photo of an Alpa FD from the 1960's:  (unfortunately it was cut up in 2003 I guess). Good luck. The FD is one of most beautiful dinghys ever built.  But the class rules were quite loose so people were constantly tinkering with it over the years. EVERYTHING, including, what would normally be standing rigging on a normal boat, was adjustable under way!
Check out the photo of a later Mader model. (1990?)
I believe Mader still makes these boats. (probably for $25,000 I bet).

Anyway, sorry to get sidetracked. Let me know how you make out.
Regards,
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length