Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 09, 2016, 06:03:13 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  New Information, Corrections, Omissions etc.
| | |-+  S&S36 #2432 IOR Cruiser/Racer Craig V Walters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: S&S36 #2432 IOR Cruiser/Racer Craig V Walters  (Read 8089 times)
gonefission
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: S&S 36 #2432

« on: October 12, 2010, 05:01:22 am »

Hello all
I am trying to find out any and all info on the S&S 36 design number 2432. They were designed by Craig V Walters for S&S and were built initially by Prestige yachts in aussie then by Holiday yachts in the Philippines. They are a rarity for S&S as i understand as they were a IOR focused fractional offshore racer. I have emailed S&S in NY and they sent me the original sales brochure, a couple of layout pics and no real info. I love the look of this yacht and are hopefully about to buy the only one that exists in New Zealand, if anyone out there knows about them or has one i would love to hear from them.

Jules
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 04:29:06 pm »

I knew Craig Walters and actually went sailing with him a few times many years ago. (I'm assuming that this is the same Craig Walters who is an American.) I wasn't aware the he had worked with S&S but this is certainly possible.  I knew that he worked with Charles Morgan before he went out on his own. This Craig Walters had a predelection for centerboard boats. You can see some his designs by going here: sailboatdata.com/view_designer.asp?designer_id=183
The last I heard is that he was a yacht broker in Florida, USA. 
It would be really great if you could post the whole brochure etc. I'd just like to figure out if this is the same guy. I've seen the name Craig V. Walters in a number of places.  I'd just like to know if there is more than one yacht designer with this same name. 

Regards
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
gonefission
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 06:13:34 pm »

Hi, i am unsure if there are 2 designers with the same name. Craigs name can be found on the S&S alumni page at http://www.sparkmanstephens.com/sparkmanstephens/alumni/ it says he designed for them from 1980. The brochure doesn't containg anything about the designer, just says S&S NY as designer. I have found some references online to Craig V. Walters now living in Riverside CT so it may be someone else
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 08:28:22 pm »

Hi, i am unsure if there are 2 designers with the same name. Craigs name can be found on the S&S alumni page at http://www.sparkmanstephens.com/sparkmanstephens/alumni/ it says he designed for them from 1980. The brochure doesn't containg anything about the designer, just says S&S NY as designer. I have found some references online to Craig V. Walters now living in Riverside CT so it may be someone else
No. That's the guy I know.  He's from Riverside CT.  I thought he had gone to Florida, but he may just be associated with some brokerage in FL.  Let me see if I can find an Email address for him. He may be completely retired from any kind of boat biz these days.
rb
gonefission
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 12:41:23 am »

wow, it would be fantastic to have the opportunity to get info from the boats designer. The reason i am so attracted to the boat is that it came in towards the end of the IOR era when designers had learnt that it was worth taking penalties in certain areas to create an overall more sailable and faster boat rather than something that won via measuring tape ( i guess thats why IOR has its detracters). Something pretty unique about her as you can see from the picture in my last post is that she has an aft cabin (large double berth) but still has an aft cockpit, a real achievement in a 36 footer.

Thanks
Jules
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 05:47:24 pm »

Just to let you know. The Craig Walters that I was speaking of, apparently DID work for S&S. So this HAS to be the same guy. I just have to assume that he is doing other things of which, the 'internet' knows little. I need to consult the 'wayback machine', and try to think of someone that may know the best way to proceed because I have yet to find an 'electronic' way to contact him.

Is this boat you're looking at the winged keel version I saw?

rb
gonefission
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 12:29:58 am »

Hi, the aussies did shorten the boat at some point and sell it with a winged keel ( http://www.sparkmanandstephensprestige34.com/ )but i believe the true offshore version had a 6'6 racing fin. Its quite possible that it was sold with a wing keel in the 36ft format. The little i know about the life of the design is that the aussies were first to build them but were screwing it up so S&S withdrew their support and it went to holiday yachts in mariveles, phillippines. the deck and hull was formed then they were shipped to the states for fitout and rig.

thanks for your efforts
Jules
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 02:56:06 pm »

Hi, the aussies did shorten the boat at some point and sell it with a winged keel ( http://www.sparkmanandstephensprestige34.com/ )but i believe the true offshore version had a 6'6 racing fin. Its quite possible that it was sold with a wing keel in the 36ft format. The little i know about the life of the design is that the aussies were first to build them but were screwing it up so S&S withdrew their support and it went to holiday yachts in mariveles, phillippines. the deck and hull was formed then they were shipped to the states for fitout and rig.

thanks for your efforts
Jules
Right. But how about the one you are thinking of buying? This is the standard fin keel version?
And we think that some of these made it to the US? And they were called HOLIDAY 34?
I think this will have to stay in the 'mystery' category.
Craig Walters has a brother who was also a designer and boat builder. (David Walters). He did a number of boats called Cambria's.  It's possible that he has an Email address. So let me look into that one.
GJP34
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Prestige 34

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 03:19:49 pm »

Hi, I own a Prestige 34 in Australia, and have had the same trouble as you finding any info on them.  Was the one yu are looking at made by Prestige Marine in Western Australia.  There will be a builders plaque in the starboard cockpit rear hatch set into the hull high up near the gunnells, It is near impossible to see without removing the hatch lid.  I also recieved info from S&S about the design 2432 that Craig Walters was involved in.  They sent me a data sheet that is hand written and has him down as the major contributor to the design done in 1983. I have tried here in Australia to find out more about Prestige Yachts (who made my boat) but to no avail. I talked to Mr Swarbrick in Western Australia who's brother made the wing keel, he thinks they made about 6 wing keels to this design and remembers it took a lot of tries to get a good casting, but unfortunatley didnt remember anything else. As all this happened before the great onset of the internet I am afraid most of the data has been lost. This is a shame that a lot of history no longer excists on many Yacht builders from that era. Prestige Marine (Prestige Yachts) did make many fine yachts over the years which occasionaly come up for sale but I have never seen a Prestige 36 (S&S 2432 design) or a 34 foot one ever before for sale. Is the one you are looking at on the internet, I would love to see it? You can see my yacht at www.sparkmanandstephensprestige34.com Sorry I cant help an further but to say my boat is fast and comfortable and very much like a Farr.   GJP34.
gonefission
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 02:00:56 pm »

Right. But how about the one you are thinking of buying? This is the standard fin keel version?
And we think that some of these made it to the US? And they were called HOLIDAY 34?
I think this will have to stay in the 'mystery' category.
Craig Walters has a brother who was also a designer and boat builder. (David Walters). He did a number of boats called Cambria's.  It's possible that he has an Email address. So let me look into that one.

The Holiday 36 (the actual 2432 design) made it to the US, the hull and decks were made in the Philippines then shipped to the US for fittout, the Prestige 34 which is based on the 2432 design was made in aussie by Prestige Yachts without the support of S&S, Prestige Yachts shortened it and fitted their own winged keel and rig. The one im hopefully buying has the racing deep fin keel (draft apparently 6'8") and was shipped out to New Zealand from California by its current owner 10 years ago. He flys over each year for several months of cruising the NZ coast then flys home...lucky guy:). I have found a photo in my internet cache from when the advert was running online.

Thanks, Jules

beargib
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: S&S designed, Australian-built Prestige 36 IOR, 1983

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 02:35:32 pm »

Perhaps this will fall into the "better late than never" category. I'm managing the restoration of a Prestige 36, same S&S design, in the US. If you still would like information on it, let me know.
moon39
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: s&s 36

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 07:33:34 pm »

I bought an S&S 36 in June.  I'm starting to go through it now.  Sure is a nice sailing boat.  It would be good to share info and look-sees.  My boat is in norfolk va.  moon39
Coquette
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: S&S Design 2432, Holiday 36

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 05:45:47 pm »

I have the tall keel version.  Built in the Philipeans in like 1984. The story I heard and have not been able to verify was that the boat was built, 6 or 8 of them for a Malasian regatta of rock stars in 1985.  Supposedly they were raced without interior and after the racing were fitted out, which makes some sense as there is no provision for leeboards which I would have expected.  This may be when some made their way to the USA.  I bought mine in Pensacola a little over two years ago as I was fascinated with the design and it seduced me without regard for my advanced age and limited financial resources.  As a result of the just stated I have made little progress on the restoration project, but still have high hopes and wish I knew more about its history.
There are apparently a number of iterations including 34s and 36s with fin and wing keels.  I have seen some pictures of beautiful boats from the Australia area.
Danno
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Walters Custom 34 One Ton

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 10:23:57 am »

I have a 1974 Craig Walters IOR One Ton. Great boat that I use as a cruiser / racer now. You can see the designer's common hand in Strange Bird and the S&S 2432. I have had no luck contacting Craig. Info would be great. He did this while striking out on his own between working for Morgan and then Sparkman Stephens. The reverse transom was added in the late 70's/early 80's. From the original documents this was the first boat built in the US with a B & R rig and it was built using C Flex by Bill Seeman (inventor of C Flex and the SCRIMP resin transfer system) at New Orleans Marine.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 04:44:06 pm »

Very interesting. I went sailing with Craig Walters once or twice at least 30 years ago.
This boat has such a modern look considering it is from the 1970's. Very similar in appearance to the first Morgan 1t.
sailboatdata.com only attempts to cover series-built boats. But I'm thinking of including this one, just for the hell of it.   
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length