Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2016, 01:52:47 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Spindrift 13 sails
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spindrift 13 sails  (Read 3468 times)
zoombats
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: KDY 15 SQ.M. (junior folkboat)

« on: October 17, 2010, 01:28:47 pm »

hi everyone. Today I picked up a great little Spindrift 13 built by Vandestadt McGruer in Owen sound  Ontario Canada. (See Sailboat Data) The boat is complete except for sails for a 100 bucks. My wife and daughters will be thrilled when I hand it over to them to use on Georgian Bay. Does anyone have a line on a decent set of sails that i could buy? Thanks Mark
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 12:04:43 pm »

hi everyone. Today I picked up a great little Spindrift 13 built by Vandestadt McGruer in Owen sound  Ontario Canada. (See Sailboat Data) The boat is complete except for sails for a 100 bucks. My wife and daughters will be thrilled when I hand it over to them to use on Georgian Bay. Does anyone have a line on a decent set of sails that i could buy? Thanks Mark
I'm sure they will be.
Of course you could buy a new set which will be several times the amount you paid for the boat. I recommend calling a sailmaker to get a quote and then while you're at it, find out all the measurements. (For main and jib: luff, leech, and foot).  I'm thinking that a Blue Jay, has very similar sized sails.  I bet there are a number of sets of those floating around.  You just need to find one.
The trick, in this case, is to find a somewhat active one-design class, with very similar sized sails.
Find their web site, (many of these have now moved to Facebook), and just monitor the classified section. Racers go through many sets of sails to remain competitive. In some cases, a 3 year old set of perfectly fine sails, will just be filling up someones attic.
Of course, on the other end of the coin, there a lot of people like you, that are looking for used sails for not much money. If it's worth it to you, persistance can pay off.

Best of luck,
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
zoombats
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: KDY 15 SQ.M. (junior folkboat)

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 04:47:51 am »

Thanks Randy. Great call on the Blue Jay. They seem to have similar lines even down to the rig and sail area. The Blue Jay association seems to be large enough and competitive enough to turn over a good suit of sails. The boats are built over the way from my side of Lake Ontario which makes things very convenient.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length