Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2016, 01:53:09 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Slipper 42 Ketch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slipper 42 Ketch  (Read 11363 times)
anders leijerstam
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Slipper 42

« on: December 05, 2010, 03:34:17 pm »

I own a Slipper 32 Ketch built in 1979 by Tylers Moldings.  My information is that the Slipper was designed by Holman & Pye.  I noticed that SailboatData states the designer as Robin Chadworth-Munster? Can any one clarrify please. How many boats were built?It would be interesting to have contact with other owners of the Slipper 42.
I am very pleased with mine. A real classic these days!
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 06:00:40 pm »

I own a Slipper 32 Ketch built in 1979 by Tylers Moldings.  My information is that the Slipper was designed by Holman & Pye.  I noticed that SailboatData states the designer as Robin Chadworth-Munster? Can any one clarrify please. How many boats were built?It would be interesting to have contact with other owners of the Slipper 42.
32, or 42?
rb
sailorman_john
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: CAT KETCH 31

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 11:23:29 am »

I know Robin Musters personally, he is still with us and going strong but long out of the boat business. He lives near Palma, Majorca. What do you want to ask him?
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 12:32:00 pm »

I know Robin Musters personally, he is still with us and going strong but long out of the boat business. He lives near Palma, Majorca. What do you want to ask him?

Thanks sailorman_john:
I have to appologize for my ignorance, since I know next to nothing about Mr. Musters or his company and would like to correct that. I guess we could start by answering anders question about the Slipper 32 if that's possible. (I only know of a Slipper 42...or actually that, in itself, could be wrong. )
Besides that, anything regarding the company and the boats they built would be most gratefully received and used. I could even create and entire builder record if I had something to go on.

Much appreciated.
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
sailboatdata.com
sailorman_john
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: CAT KETCH 31

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 09:15:02 am »

The Tyler Mouldings company was founded by Ed Tyler and for a while, over 40 years ago, was building the HULLS of most of the early fibreglass yachts built in the UK, they mostly built the hulls, interior fitting out and rigging being done by others.
 Robin Musters had formerly been an army engineer and he worked for the Tyler company. Tyler Moundings went out of business a long time ago. John Tyler (Ed's son) continues to sail, in the Med and in New Zealand.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 09:42:06 am »

The Tyler Mouldings company was founded by Ed Tyler and for a while, over 40 years ago, was building the HULLS of most of the early fibreglass yachts built in the UK, they mostly built the hulls, interior fitting out and rigging being done by others.
 Robin Musters had formerly been an army engineer and he worked for the Tyler company. Tyler Moundings went out of business a long time ago. John Tyler (Ed's son) continues to sail, in the Med and in New Zealand.
OK.  I do actually have a short blurb on Tyer already which can be seen here.:
http://sailboatdata.com/view_builder.asp?Builder_ID=174 
If I know that a boats hull was built by Tyler, I try to link to it. Probably many more that are not included. Especailly the ones that he sold under the Tyler name.

rb
timd_chapman
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 02:23:53 pm »

I've owned a Slipper 42 for 12 years which I'm sure is built from an orignal Van de Stadt design.
I've come across about another 5 or 6 of these in the last 12 years and I would be surprised if there were more than a couple of dozen in existence.

Great boat which I wouldn't change for anything. Poised to go off on a long voyage.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 08:53:52 am »

I've owned a Slipper 42 for 12 years which I'm sure is built from an orignal Van de Stadt design.
I've come across about another 5 or 6 of these in the last 12 years and I would be surprised if there were more than a couple of dozen in existence.

Great boat which I wouldn't change for anything. Poised to go off on a long voyage.
I've heard mention of the van de Stadt  'Glass Slipper', one of the first boats built by Tyler Mouldings. (early 60s?) Is it possible that the Slipper 42 was a later version - possibly a decade later.  When looking at a van de stadt hull, it's really impossible to guess the age since he was so far ahead of his time in so many ways.  Do you know when you're was built?  Does it have a Tylers plate?
I'm thinking of deleting the record entirely since I don't like to be the deceminator of bad information.
Best of luck on your voyage.

Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
sailboatdata.com

timd_chapman
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 09:03:27 am »

Well I always stand to be corrected. I think a previous poster, sailorman_john has a more informed opinion on the designer, said to be Robin Munsters, apparently he 'evolved' an existing design, possibly the vdS Glass Slipper. I know the Glass Slipper to be from vdS as they posted me a sail plan for it.

Mine has the original Tyler plate and was built in 1979. Her original name was 'Fair Lady of Lytham', the previous owner to me renamed her 'Larus'.

Most of them are ketches but I have seen at least one sloop rigged version.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 01:55:38 pm »

Well I always stand to be corrected. I think a previous poster, sailorman_john has a more informed opinion on the designer, said to be Robin Munsters, apparently he 'evolved' an existing design, possibly the vdS Glass Slipper. I know the Glass Slipper to be from vdS as they posted me a sail plan for it.

Mine has the original Tyler plate and was built in 1979. Her original name was 'Fair Lady of Lytham', the previous owner to me renamed her 'Larus'.

Most of them are ketches but I have seen at least one sloop rigged version.
Thanks for taking the time.
Does the the Glass Slipper drawing look similar to yours?
I'm assuming you had seen this http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=4741
which is all I have.

One of these days, I need to get that van de Stadt book. I wonder if the Glass Slipper is in it.

regards,

Randy Browning
anders leijerstam
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 12:59:30 pm »

32, or 42?
rb
anders leijerstam
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 03:33:02 pm »

Slipper 42: 
I wrote about my Slipper 42 back in Febuary and when re-reading the warious post following this, I noticed that I had wronly stated I had a 'Slipper 32' instead of 42'!   Holman & Pye are the designer and they also desiged the Bowman 46'. Also molded at Tylers. I am very pleased with my ketch and I am only aware of one other example which was for sale in Ipswich about 3 years ago.  Has any member more info on this class?  I would be very pleased to hear from you.
Anders
Wales, UK
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 04:09:02 pm »

Thanks Anders, and thanks for confirming that the '32' was a typo. The Chadworth-Munster as designer was only partly correct, as confirmed by someone who actually knows the man.
There was a boat called the GLASS SLIPPER, built by Tyler Mouldings which was a van de Stadt design. Wether there was another different version by Holman and Pye, is possible.
Or H&P were involved in some kind of re design. But I'm just speculating here.
I don't have a definitive answer.  I was wondering if your boat looks similar to the one I have listed here:
http://www.sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=4741
Slipper 42: 
I wrote about my Slipper 42 back in Febuary and when re-reading the warious post following this, I noticed that I had wronly stated I had a 'Slipper 32' instead of 42'!   Holman & Pye are the designer and they also desiged the Bowman 46'. Also molded at Tylers. I am very pleased with my ketch and I am only aware of one other example which was for sale in Ipswich about 3 years ago.  Has any member more info on this class?  I would be very pleased to hear from you.
Anders
Wales, UK
timd_chapman
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 02:21:51 am »

The record you have on this site is the same as my Slipper 42, Larus, based in Southampton. I've been all these years thinking its a VDS design. She probably has her roots in the original VDS Glass Slipper which was a much earlier boat. I know of Slipper 42's in Lymington, Jersey, US East coast and Thailand. Now I know of another one in Wales.
Exceptional boat but there again everyone probably says that about their own boat.
Tim
Southampton
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 09:04:00 am »

I think we have this cleared up thanks to a number of people. The original vds 'Glass Slipper' is entirely differenent than the 'Slipper 42'. (Other than the fact the were both built by Tyler.). The latter boat, was instead derived from the Rancher 41. They couldn't have made many of these but I managed to find a picture of one.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length