Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 09, 2016, 04:10:18 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  New Information, Corrections, Omissions etc.
| | |-+  Drake 13 sailing dingy, aka Sirocco Yachts Sirocco 13, Classic Marine Bay Sailer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Drake 13 sailing dingy, aka Sirocco Yachts Sirocco 13, Classic Marine Bay Sailer  (Read 4078 times)
dragon625fly
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: 13' Sailing Dingy, 16' Wood Stripe "Prospecter" canoe, 16' Old Town "Discovery Scout", 16' Aquaterra "Chinook" kayak

« on: December 26, 2010, 06:04:04 pm »

Okay, thanks to some help from forum member 'AJ' I have traced info on the 13' fiberglass dingy I first posted in "Mystery boat" section about a year and a half ago.  It is definitely a Drake 13.  'AJ' saw a small blurb about the Drake 13 in issues 59 & 60 of the 'Small Craft Advisor'.  According to John Holtrop , the owner of Drake, Paul Blew sold his boat building business around 1975 to John of Sirocco Yachts, who produed about 15 boats using the Sirocco 13 name.  John then traded the molds & tooling to Clasic [sic. Yachts] Marine who marketed two versions of the boat as the 13' Bay Sailer & the La Playa, which included solid teak seats and trim.  I also found a page in "Dinghies and daysailers" by Butch Wilcox, 1987 listing the Clasic Marine Bay Sailer & La Playa.  This boat is almost identical to my Drake 13. 

The outer hull is molded with lapstrake ridges like a traditional wooden dingy.  Inner hull is molded with wrap around seating on both sides and along transom.  Mast is stepped on the hull floor and forward area is not decked over.  It is rigged as a fractional sloop with center trunk and dagger board.  It also has what may be an original outboard motor mount on port side transom.  Approximate dimensions (as measured by me) are: LOA 12.32', Beam 5.25', Draft (est) 8", Draft dagger board down 3.5',  Mast 19' from step to head, Boom 8' (both are extruded aluminum with integral rope track.  The main sheet runs through a traveler over transom.

None of the various names of this sailing dingy are listed in this database. The current slightly undersized sails are from a PaceShip 12 'Oakland' (circa 1968?), which is also not listed.  I am still interested in locating a source for replacement sails!

I have included my original sketch of the boat and pictures taken today of the nearly completed restoration, which included stripping the outer hull patching several hull breaches of varying size, cutting out damaged transom seat deck to make a battery/gas tank well, new rudder w/ kick-up design, the addition of almost 20 cu ft of flotation foam for obvious reasons and to stiffen the inner and outer hull, plus repaint of inner and outer hull and trailer.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 06:31:38 pm by dragon625fly » Logged
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 01:46:43 pm »

Thanks 'dragon625fly'. Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  I still need to figure out the best way to inlcude this.

Regards,
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length