Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2016, 03:24:02 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  What is it? (Mystery Sailboat model)
| | |-+  Is this rig from a JOUT? Or other?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this rig from a JOUT? Or other?  (Read 5864 times)
proto57
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: O'Day 22

« on: January 01, 2011, 10:52:53 am »

I posted this question on the sailboatdata.com also, but thought I would would cover all ground... and post it here:I have a mast, mainsail, partial rig and boom which I think might be from a JOUT CAPRICE, or some other JOUT sailboat. The mast is a Marco Polo, and it is about 24.5 feet long. The section is 2.25 inches by 3.75 inches, and sort of a "squared oval"... sort of like the Kenyan "D" section, but a bit flatter on the side...s. The sail has a three "fleur-de-lis" emblem. I am going to cut it down for my O'Day 22, unless I can find someone who needs this mast... it would be a shame to ruin it, if someone needs this rig.

Cormorant
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Jout Caprice, Vaurien

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 03:12:58 pm »

(The thing we know for sure is that this is not the mast used on the Jout Caprice. It is by far way too small and all the rigging is off and it is missing loads of hardware, including a winch, among others)

We know that it is for a sailboat that has a roof, however, and that is is mounted on the roof (due to the low position of the boom). And looking at the photo, and the dimensions you gave, it's safe to say that it is for a light displacement sailboat that is between 17 and 20 or so feet.

It appears to be a perfect fit for the Jouet 18 in both height and rigging:

...the problem being that not many of those were made, and even less went abroad. So how on earth could it be in the USA?? I would love to know that story...

Nonetheless, I have seen many Marco Polo masts and Jout sailboats, and this is definitely for a light one that is about 18 feet long (though not necessarily a Jout or even a Yachting France, as Marco Polo was just a general mast manufacturer).  I mentioned 17 feet as the lowest limit, because it is about the same size as the Jout Foxtrot mast (which is a bit shorter than yours, and has lighter spreaders).

But by all means do not cut it for your boat.

In fact, if anything, it is underpowered for your Oday 22. Ok, a mast cannot be underpowered, but what I mean is that from the looks of the mast in the photo, and the dimensions, it is my opinion that with it's current configuration it will not carry enough sail for you, and if you change it to carry more sail, the mast may not be up to the stresses as it is really thin (does it taper towards the top too?)  (if, you change the rigging for ex). and everything will be out of balance.

I did a little research, and I found that for the Oday 22, there were two masts: pre-1979 was a masthead rigged 22'9''-tall mast, and post-1978 it changed to a fractional rig that was 27'3'' tall (this is what my instinct tells me is right too). So in fact, the Marco Polo mast that you have, in it's current configuration is actually 3 feet too short...

The pre '79 mast (the short one) on the Oday 22:

(source:) -> http://forums.oday.sailboatowners.com/album.php?albumid=1259&page=2

I found where you can buy a new Oday 22 mast with hardware: http://www.drmarine.com/products.asp?cat=158
you may want to check that out, as 400 bucks is really a good price :) You can choose the version that you want: 78 and earlier ot 79 and later.

And remember, the changes made in 1979 (adding 5 feet and changing the rigging) was done as an improvement to make it sail better. If you change the rigging to masthead, you'll need to also add a backstay and change the spreaders, which will end up being a lot more work then maybe the cost of just buying a new one.

My 2 cents  ;D

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 04:04:42 pm by Cormorant » Logged

I'd rather be sailing
proto57
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 04:20:53 pm »

We know that it is for a sailboat that has a roof, however, and that is is mounted on the roof (due to the low position of the boom). And looking at the photo, and the dimensions you gave, it's safe to say that it is for a light displacement sailboat that is between 17 and 20 or so feet.

It appears to be a perfect fit for the Jouet 18 in both height and rigging... ...Nonetheless, I have seen many Marco Polo masts and Jout sailboats, and this is definitely for a light one that is about 18 feet long (though not necessarily a Jout or even a Yachting France, as Marco Polo was just a general mast manufacturer).  I mentioned 17 feet as the lowest limit, because it is about the same size as the Jout Foxtrot mast (which is a bit shorter than yours, and has lighter spreaders).

Thank you for that information.

But by all means do not cut it for your boat.

In fact, if anything, it is underpowered for your Oday 22. Ok, a mast cannot be underpowered, but what I mean is that from the looks of the mast in the photo, and the dimensions, it is my opinion that with it's current configuration it will not carry enough sail for you, and if you change it to carry more sail, the mast may not be up to the stresses as it is really thin (does it taper towards the top too?)  (if, you change the rigging for ex). and everything will be out of balance.

I did a little research, and I found that for the Oday 22, there were two masts: pre-1979 was a masthead rigged 22'9''-tall mast, and post-1978 it changed to a fractional rig that was 27'3'' tall (this is what my instinct tells me is right too). So in fact, the Marco Polo mast that you have, in it's current configuration is actually 3 feet too short...

I'm familiar with the mast heights and sail areas for the different O'days, and I do have a 1973 model. So this Marco Polo mast would carry more than enough sail area for me... and yes, I would have to cut it down by about 2 feet, to bring it to the O'Day 22's proper 22 feet, 6 inches (the extrusion length). I would also have to cut down the boom by a few inches, to fit the sail, and clear the backstay.

I found where you can buy a new Oday 22 mast with hardware: http://www.drmarine.com/products.asp?cat=158
you may want to check that out, as 400 bucks is really a good price :) You can choose the version that you want: 78 and earlier ot 79 and later.

I've bought things from Rudy at D&R... but I don't think that price is correct. The extrusion alone is well over $400... shipped, more like $600 to $800, depending how close you are. With all hardware it could easily top $1,000... most people end up buying a whole O22, and using the rig from it, then junking the boat. Ironically it saves you the big bucks these rigging firms charge.

But no worries... I picked up an original mast and boom (and vang), with all stays and cable halyards, for $100... it was only 1 1/2 hours from me, in Derby, Connecticut. The guy had it listed as from a "O'Day23", but it is a Kenyon Masts "D" section, and 22' 6"... in other words, from my exact boat! Now I just have to sell the rig I bought, and all is good...

Thanks for the info... Rich.
proto57
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 04:28:30 pm »

Hi again, Cormorant. I just checked the DR Marine link you posted: http://www.drmarine.com/products.asp?cat=158

When you quoted $400, you were looking at the boom (believe it or not). The mast from him, with no hardware, is about $1,400 to $1,600, and with hardware, about $1,900 to $2,000.

As I said, the mast extrusion alone is over $400... I think it is $21 a foot from Rig Rite... So D&R has a profit of $1,000 on top of this. Not a bad job, if you can get it!
Cormorant
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Jout Caprice, Vaurien

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 01:30:14 pm »

Ah, my bad. I though that 400 dollars was a bit odd for a mast. Sorry for getting your hopes up  :-\

But no worries... I picked up an original mast and boom (and vang), with all stays and cable halyards, for $100... it was only 1 1/2 hours from me, in Derby, Connecticut. The guy had it listed as from a "O'Day23", but it is a Kenyon Masts "D" section, and 22' 6"... in other words, from my exact boat! Now I just have to sell the rig I bought, and all is good...
Excellent!

Anyway, I'd love to see what you end up doing for your mast! 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:37:24 pm by Cormorant » Logged

I'd rather be sailing
proto57
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 07:36:56 pm »

Thanks, Cormorant... I was very lucky this time, and the mast I just bought will work great. It is identical, as I said... but I'm noticing it is of higher quality than my original. For instance, the mast head unit is not all a casting... the sides are thick aluminum plate, with a casting on the top. All tangs for stays and so on are thicker, and nicer made.

The one I don't need now is on eBay... so we will see. It might take a month or more to sell it, and as you pointed out, there are few Jouet's in the USA, so it will probably be someone jury rigging, as I was going to... all the best, Rich.
saltydog
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Jouet, Sheriff 600 - 20 feet

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 10:31:52 am »

I notised this is an old post.
I have a Jouet, Sheriff 600 with that MP-mast - just the same look - and 738 cm long (24 feet +)
I need a new one now - this only to say hallo "over there" from the old world here.
It for sure could be from a Jouet boat.
Christen Bang-Madsen
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length