Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2016, 03:24:19 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  New Information, Corrections, Omissions etc.
| | |-+  Islander 23 / Imperial 23
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Islander 23 / Imperial 23  (Read 3440 times)
Bru
Pick-up Crew

« on: January 10, 2011, 12:19:16 pm »

There seems to be some confusion here!!!!

The Islander 23 designed by William Crealock and built in the US by Islander Yachts / Tradewind Yachts is not the same boat as the Islander 23 designed by L. Wakefield and built in the UK by Russell Marine

The Russell Marine Islander 23 is in fact the boat listed on the site as the Imperial 23 (and I presume it was marketed in the US by this name due to the existing Islander Yachts model)

I have various brochures and photos of the RM Islander 23 (some taken myself just a few days ago of the boat we are considering purchasing) and there is no doubt it is the same boat as the Imperial 23 detailed on this site (and a very different beast indeed from the Islander 23 by Islander Yachts)

Cheers
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 03:05:43 pm »

Thanks for taking the time. 
What you are saying is that, what I have is correct OTHER THAN the connection of the 2 boats. (ISLANDER 23 and IMPERIAL 23). They are completely different boats.  Actually I can't remember where I read and was, apparantly, misled into accepting that.  They certainly don't even look similar!

Best of luck with your purchase.

The Islander 23 designed by William Crealock and built in the US by Islander Yachts / Tradewind Yachts is not the same boat as the Islander 23 designed by L. Wakefield and built in the UK by Russell Marine

The Russell Marine Islander 23 is in fact the boat listed on the site as the Imperial 23 (and I presume it was marketed in the US by this name due to the existing Islander Yachts model)

I have various brochures and photos of the RM Islander 23 (some taken myself just a few days ago of the boat we are considering purchasing) and there is no doubt it is the same boat as the Imperial 23 detailed on this site (and a very different beast indeed from the Islander 23 by Islander Yachts)

Cheers
Bru
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 01:11:41 pm »

To clarify, currently you have Russell Marine erroneously linked as a second manufacturer of the Islander Yachts "Islander 23" designed by Bill Creaklock and no builder listed against the "Imperial 23" which is, in fact, an entirely different "Islander 23" designed by L. Wakefield which is actually the boat built by Russell Marine

Hmm, not sure that was actually any clearer!!!!

Several histories of Islander Yachts to be found on the 'net (all of which probably have the same original source) claim that the Islander Yachts "Islander 23" was also built in the UK by Russell Marine and this is probably the source of the confusion - my guess being somebody has made an assumption because both boats have the same name even though, as you say, even a cursory glance at the drawings and photos shows they are completely different designs!

We're now waiting on a cheque from the taxman and hoping like hell somebody else doesn't buy the boat before we've got the money through!!!

All the best
Bru

Thanks for taking the time. 
What you are saying is that, what I have is correct OTHER THAN the connection of the 2 boats. (ISLANDER 23 and IMPERIAL 23). They are completely different boats.  Actually I can't remember where I read and was, apparantly, misled into accepting that.  They certainly don't even look similar!

Best of luck with your purchase.

Cheers
Bru
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 01:16:04 pm »

Blimey, hadn't realised you'd already updated the pages!!! Quick work  :)

All is now correct other than that the "Imperial 23" was marketed and sold as the "Islander 23" in the UK (the boat we're hoping to buy actually has an original albeit rather faded "Islander 23" decal on either side of the hull)

Regards
Bru
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 01:15:49 pm »

Blimey, hadn't realised you'd already updated the pages!!! Quick work  :)

All is now correct other than that the "Imperial 23" was marketed and sold as the "Islander 23" in the UK (the boat we're hoping to buy actually has an original albeit rather faded "Islander 23" decal on either side of the hull)

Regards
Bru

Yes. I hate to have something up there that is factually wrong. Many brokers adopt the information they see here. The only thing I haven't added, as you point out, is that the imperial was also called Islander. (not the American Islander).

My history of the American Islander Yachts does have many sources. But is was put together by me. It is wrapped up in the  history of Columbia Yachts but there IS a lot of MISINFORMATION around about both of these firms. Especially the role of Joe McGlassen.
I have been in contact with a man who was friends with him for more than 20 years. He was a trained NA.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length