Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2016, 01:28:00 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  What is it? (Mystery Sailboat model)
| | |-+  Found a neat old girl sitting on her trailer ~ Help needed with identification
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Found a neat old girl sitting on her trailer ~ Help needed with identification  (Read 5675 times)
*AJ*
Member Emeritus

« on: February 03, 2011, 08:18:15 pm »

Fiberglass production - couldn't find an insignia or hull ID number ... any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 08:08:23 am by *AJ* » Logged
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 10:34:55 am »

I believe this is a Columbia Contender 24.
 http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_ID=491
There were a number of models based on this particular hull but with a different deck and coachroof. Islander 24, Islander Bahama 24, Columbia 24, etc.
(It is thought that they are all based on a wood prototype, the Islander Catalina ??,designed and built by Joe McGlasson. )
I have included a link to a photo of one I found on sailingtexas.com.
http://www.sailingtexas.com/scolumbia24a.html
See what you think.

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
*AJ*
Member Emeritus

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 11:14:35 am »

Thanks for the reply RB.

Yes ... at first, I too thought of the Columbia Contender.

This boat in question, however, has a lower coach roof as compared to the Contender and
the tiller placement/cockpit arrangement is different.

I'll check with a few Columbia BBs and see what I can dig up.

sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 11:55:11 am »

Thanks for the reply RB.

Yes ... at first, I too thought of the Columbia Contender.

This boat in question, however, has a lower coach roof as compared to the Contender and
the tiller placement/cockpit arrangement is different.

I'll check with a few Columbia BBs and see what I can dig up.
Yes.  See what you mean.  Tiller in a different spot also.  I know this was before HIDs, but it's amazing there is no other builder identification, or clue anywhere.

rb
*AJ*
Member Emeritus

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 09:40:16 am »

I posted my information on the CYOA forum and had a few responses ...

Members there said, yes ... it was a sailboat  ;) ... (although someone thought it might be a 1987 Yugo with the special air induction propulsion option  ::))

The thought was that the tiller placement was wrong for a Columbia and the shear line and entry reminded someone of Carl Alberg designs, however, still couldn't find a 'match'.

Still searching ....

*AJ*
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 10:38:22 am »

I posted my information on the CYOA forum and had a few responses ...

Members there said, yes ... it was a sailboat  ;) ... (although someone thought it might be a 1987 Yugo with the special air induction propulsion option  ::))

The thought was that the tiller placement was wrong for a Columbia and the shear line and entry reminded someone of Carl Alberg designs, however, still couldn't find a 'match'.

Still searching ....

*AJ*

Try boatdesign.net.  You may get a few more snotty comments, but I've had at least 2 other mystery boats identified by someone there.

rb

*AJ*
Member Emeritus

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 06:05:10 pm »

Hey RB ~ We've got a match!  :o

She's an early Fin Keel Mkll Corribee!

How she got here is the next piece of the puzzle to discover!

*AJ*
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 08:05:06 am »

Hey RB ~ We've got a match!  :o

She's an early Fin Keel Mkll Corribee!

How she got here is the next piece of the puzzle to discover!

*AJ*

Wow!  Good work AJ. I'm just as curious to know how you finally made the match. Did someone else help?  It does look like the one I have listed here, but I thought your boat looked a bit bigger.  There were so many Corribees.  Have you been to the Corribee site? Do you have a bigger copy of that photo? It's a nice one.

rb

*AJ*
Member Emeritus

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 09:08:53 pm »

*AJ*
I'm just as curious to know how you finally made the match. Did someone else help?  It does look like the one I have listed here, but I thought your boat looked a bit bigger.  There were so many Corribees.  Have you been to the Corribee site? Do you have a bigger copy of that photo? It's a nice one.
rb

RB ~ At your suggestion, I posted on BoatDesign.Net ... in less than a day, a member there responded with the match!

Yes, I've been to a few of the Corribee Sites and I am trying to learn all I can.
I also joined the Corribee Yahoo Group. I am sorry to say I haven't a better image.

I am in the process of tracking down some history ... once I gather more information,
I'll post more info.

*AJ*
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 09:17:22 pm »

Those guys are sharp! 
Look forward to hearing from you again.

Regards,
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »