Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2016, 01:22:38 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  Mystery sailboat from France
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mystery sailboat from France  (Read 2095 times)
Cormorant
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Jout Caprice, Vaurien

« on: March 11, 2011, 12:09:19 pm »

Here's one for you.
So hard that the leading magazine Chasse-Mare could not even identify it!
But they are so beautiful (they look damn sea-worthy and fun) that they merit a request from internetland.

They are some sailboats used by the French (marine) boy scouts back in the late 60's early 70's.

They were perfect too because the rigging enabled the maximum number of kids to participate in handling the rigging etc. and they look like they are stable as all hell...

Quelqu'un arrive identifier ces petites chaloupes ???
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:12:41 pm by Cormorant » Logged

I'd rather be sailing
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 05:28:45 pm »

Oh man! I don't know how I'll be able to help with this one. But, you never know, someone else might. Can I copy this to my blog and facebook page?

Very elementary French question:  Is there any kind of specific connotation to 'chaloupes' other than just a boat? What's the difference from just a 'bateau'? Always trying to get a bit more educated about French nautical terms. Though it is hopeless, I'm afraid.

rb

Cormorant
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Jout Caprice, Vaurien

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 04:52:21 am »

Sure - I scanned it from the magazine, but they'd probably be interested in knowing too :)

Generally speaking, a chaloupe is frequently referred to as a boat that is similar to but bigger than a canot. They dont have decks (open), and with the rigging as you can see in the photo (but they can be row boats too). If you say chaloupe 10 times really fast you get sloop. Indeed these little guys in the photo could be fairly well described as open double-masted gaff-rigged sloops, but isn't is much easier to say "petites chaloupes"  ;)

I would say it is more of a connotation word than an actual descriptive term, as chaloupe's describe a large number of boat types.

I'd rather be sailing
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length