Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 09, 2016, 08:01:03 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  New Information, Corrections, Omissions etc.
| | |-+  Alumaat by E.G. van de Stadt
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alumaat by E.G. van de Stadt  (Read 4809 times)
Aike van der Hoeff
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Victoire 1044

« on: April 13, 2011, 04:29:54 am »

Hi Randy,
E.G. van de Stadt designed in 1966 an 8,30 m aluminium yacht called 'Alumaat', built by Huisman in the Netherlands. They built only 4. A good friend of mine recently bought one of those 4. Is this important enough to add to this database, or is the amount of 4 too little? I can send some drawings.
Regards, Aike van der Hoeff
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 08:43:21 am »

Hi Randy,
E.G. van de Stadt designed in 1966 an 8,30 m aluminium yacht called 'Alumaat', built by Huisman in the Netherlands. They built only 4. A good friend of mine recently bought one of those 4. Is this important enough to add to this database, or is the amount of 4 too little? I can send some drawings.
Aike-
I've never seen one of these but I know of it. Would very much like to inlude it. So many great van de Stadt designs that I have missed. So far ahead of of his time he was. I really want to get that book, but I'm a little short on change at the moment.
As far as the numbers go, I will occasionally list a boat where only 1 was built, or 2, if it's a particularly influential design. (there were only 2 of the S&S 'Finnesterre' type for example.)

By the way, how do you think I should (in English) separate a first and last name of this kind?
You wouldn't address a person, for example, as Mr. van de Stadt? ('the' Stadt, or 'of the' Stadt ????) And it should probably should be alphabetized under S ??
(something like Stadt, E. G. van)?
Currently I have it with the lower case 'v' which is probably wrong, an accomodation to most English speakers maybe, but I'd just as soon do it correctly.

Again, many thanks.
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
sailboatdata.com
Aike van der Hoeff
Member Emeritus

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 12:13:17 pm »

Hi Randy,
Today I visited this friend who owns an Alumaat, just on my way back now. Did some painting, and took some pictures. During the weekend I'll  send you te pictures and drawings that I've got.
A person with such a name is still addressed with 'mr. van de Stadt'. In the Netherlands we alphabetisize it indeed under the S. So: Stadt, E. G. van de
When I was looking for him in your database I at first took the S, but then tried the V.
By the way, 'van de' means 'from the'. And Stadt is the old dutch word for town. Nowadays it is 'stad'. So when family names had to be chosen his ancestor was a man 'from the Town'.
Regards, Aike
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 01:51:56 pm »

Hi Randy,
Today I visited this friend who owns an Alumaat, just on my way back now. Did some painting, and took some pictures. During the weekend I'll  send you te pictures and drawings that I've got.
A person with such a name is still addressed with 'mr. van de Stadt'. In the Netherlands we alphabetisize it indeed under the S. So: Stadt, E. G. van de
When I was looking for him in your database I at first took the S, but then tried the V.
By the way, 'van de' means 'from the'. And Stadt is the old dutch word for town. Nowadays it is 'stad'. So when family names had to be chosen his ancestor was a man 'from the Town'.
Regards, Aike
Aike-
Look forard to seeing them. I think I'll go ahead and change the last name field to 'Stadt'. (everything is database driven).

Best regards,
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
Aike van der Hoeff
Member Emeritus

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 12:54:05 pm »

Hi Randy,
Three pictures of the Alumaat, while working at the hull. In about a couple of weeks she will be finished and ready to sail. I'll send you more then.
Plus sailplan en layout. The sailplan and layout are scans from the original E.G. van de Stadt drawing in 1966. At that time he aparently had a shipyard, but we are sure that the boat has been built by Huisman. In 1966 there was a petrol engine in it, now it contains a Yanmar 1 cyl. diesel.

Best regards, Aike van der Hoeff
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 07:29:23 am »

Hi Randy,
Three pictures of the Alumaat, while working at the hull. In about a couple of weeks she will be finished and ready to sail. I'll send you more then.
Plus sailplan en layout. The sailplan and layout are scans from the original E.G. van de Stadt drawing in 1966. At that time he aparently had a shipyard, but we are sure that the boat has been built by Huisman. In 1966 there was a petrol engine in it, now it contains a Yanmar 1 cyl. diesel.

Best regards, Aike van der Hoeff

Very nice.  Somebody has been busy.  You can't do much better than Huisman. Never heard  of anything substandard coming out of that place!  The thing that always occurs to me first about a vds design is that everything is so simple. Evrything is there for a reason. Nothing is there for show. It's a keeper. (assuming they have all the metal to metal, metal to ocean stuff figured out)
Thanks Aike! Would really like to see a picture once it's done.
sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=6726
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:42:31 pm by sonosail » Logged
Aike van der Hoeff
Member Emeritus

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 06:20:23 am »

Hi Randy,
You're right, Huisman is quality, allthough is think this Alumaat comes from a period they were not as big as they are now. This friend of mine who owns this Alumaat is planning to make a phonecall to them, but there's a a chance they won't have any documentation anymore. If they still do, and know about it,  I'll let you know. And pictures of a sailing Alumaat will come.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 07:05:08 am »

Hi Randy,
You're right, Huisman is quality, allthough is think this Alumaat comes from a period they were not as big as they are now. This friend of mine who owns this Alumaat is planning to make a phonecall to them, but there's a a chance they won't have any documentation anymore. If they still do, and know about it,  I'll let you know. And pictures of a sailing Alumaat will come.
I bet they will have a record. Just seems like that kind of place. The Alumaat is on the list of designs at the vds website. I forget if they list the builder. Now days Huisman probably wouldn't even think about building anything less than 80 ft. But they still build Yachts.
Thanks again, to you both, for the drawings.  The displacement listed, seems really light for a boat that size.  I kept thinking I had entered it wrong. 
rb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length