Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 06, 2016, 07:08:54 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  Information Wanted
| | |-+  No 'Boom' for a first timer.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No 'Boom' for a first timer.  (Read 2452 times)
jobe
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: caprice 19'

« on: April 19, 2011, 10:25:30 pm »

Hi there,

I've just purchased my first sailboat, a 'Caprice 19', not sure of the age just old and weary looking but seems a nice first time project to embark upon.
Apart from a lot of cosmetic repairs the obvious item missing is the boom. I wondered is it a case that you just wait to see one for sale or could one be made up from a different model or even just get hold of fittings required and make out of timber. Perhaps as a first timer I should be looking to sail with only a jib ?

Many Thanks.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:13:42 am »

There are rigging supply places that specialize in this kind of thing. Shouldn't be a major problem. One in the US is called Rig Rite. But, most likely, this mast extrusion was made in the UK. You'll just need to get some pictures, preferably the mast manufacturer and just some looking around. My opionion is that you want to have a working mainsail. As for the boom itself, you should be able to find an appropriate extrusion somewhere for very little money, and cut to length. But a rigging place is where you will find the best advice.

rb 
Cormorant
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Jout Caprice, Vaurien

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 11:53:13 am »

Yeah, I second that.

You'll want to have the mainsail to balance out the boat.
The boom is not that critical for these daysailers, in that it just needs to be the correct length for the foot of the mainsail (and in your case, to go behind the cockpit at the level of your traveller, and strong enough. You'll need to add a pulley on the end for your mainsheet, and an attachment point on it for the boomvang, and a pully and cleat for the outhaul. Then of course something to attach it to the goosneck.

If your mainsail slides into a grove, then it complicates things, otherwise, you could just find a nice aluminum tube of a reasonable diameter (or even make it out of a nice grade wood), and just add the above listed parts. You could easily pull one together for little or nothing with a little elbow grease, and in no time at all.

So yeah, don't spend too much, grab a boom of a similare length, cut it down as needed and add the missing bits. Should be a nice fun project :)

I'd rather be sailing
jobe
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: caprice 19'

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 01:51:01 pm »

Many thanks for your advice, all points noted.
Right now I,m embarking on a first time welding of docking arm brackets to the trailer. As soon as complete the boat can come ashore...., can't wait!, then I feel that there will certainly be a lack of spare time. Thanks to your advice confidence is growing by the minute to tackle the  missing boom.
Once again, Many thanks.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length