Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 06, 2016, 07:07:05 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  What is it? (Mystery Sailboat model)
| | |-+  Unknown sailing dingy possibly "Drake 13"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unknown sailing dingy possibly "Drake 13"  (Read 3758 times)
dragon625fly
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: 13' Sailing Dingy, 16' Wood Stripe "Prospecter" canoe, 16' Old Town "Discovery Scout", 16' Aquaterra "Chinook" kayak

« on: March 12, 2009, 06:01:17 pm »

I recently purchased a fiberglass sailing dingy, which requires some hull repair and could use new sails.  There is no data or name plate on the hull, but the title describes it as a "1976 Drake 13".  Manufacterer is also listed as Drake.  I would like to confirm boat model/manufacterer identity, plus specs and possible compatible sails.  Any help would greatly be appreciated as there seems to be no data on the internet and no exact match with any boats in the SailPortal database for boats with LOA of 12'-13'.

The outer hull is molded with lapstrake ridges like a traditional wooden dingy.  Inner hull is molded with wrap around seating on both sides and along transom.  Mast is stepped on the hull floor and forward area is not decked over.  It is rigged as a fractional sloop with center trunk and dagger board.  It also has what may be an original outboard motor mount on port side transom.  Approximate dimensions (as measured by me) are: LOA 12.32', Beam 5.25', Draft (est) 8", Draft dagger board down 3.5',  Mast 19' from step to head, Boom 8' (both are extruded aluminum with integral rope track.  The main sheet runs through a traveler over transom.

The hull is currently upside down for repairs, but I have included a rough sketch, which is close to scale.  Pics will follow in a couple of weeks.  Look forward to some feed back.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 06:02:52 pm by dragon625fly » Logged
cal30
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Cal 27 T/2

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 04:37:06 pm »

Howzit,
 Looks like a nice hull. Lapstrake too! 30 years ago I had an Enterprise racing class dingy. Around 13'. It was an unreal sailing boat. Yours should be too in the right conditions. Post some pics. I 'm not familiar with Drake boats though.Good luck with the new boat.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 07:18:57 pm »

So I have heard them mentioned.  Like, 'I used to have a Drake Dingy' etc.  Can't figure out if Drake is the model or manufacturer. I think the former.
Anyway, the 'boat detective' is on the case.

But I also wanted to ask cal30 what model of CAL 30 he has.  There are so many versions.  I'm looking for a brochure for the CAL-3 (I think it is) with the reverse transom and fractional rig. This was a particularly cool boat.  But I never saw a CAL 30 I didn't like.
I sailed on the first version once. A great boat.

rb
dragon625fly
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: 13' Sailing Dingy, 16' Wood Stripe "Prospecter" canoe, 16' Old Town "Discovery Scout", 16' Aquaterra "Chinook" kayak

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 11:35:24 pm »

Hi Sonosail,
I still can't find any hull id or other info on the boat transom (may have been painted over or sanded off?), but something I read sent me back to the title, which did have a hull id and therefore a manufacterer's id (DCD). I checked this on the coast guard web site and found a listing for Designer Craft Boat Co., which took over the MIC from Drake Craft Inc. in 1996.  Other than some dates, old addresses and the fact that Designer Craft went out of business in 2008, there is no boat specific info.  If you would like to add these manufacterers to your database, here is the link to the coast guard database:  http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_detail.aspx?id=DCD

Don't know why my countless attempts to searh for "Drake" didn't pull up the US Coast Guard page, but at least we now know that Drake Craft was originally the manufacterer '75-'96.  I'd like to know if anyone has magazine adds, catalogs or manuals from Drake Craft Inc or Designer Craft Boat Co., which include model name, specs or any info on this boat.  Thanks!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length