Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 06, 2016, 09:00:47 am
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  New Information, Corrections, Omissions etc.
| | |-+  Yankee 30
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yankee 30  (Read 3278 times)
Adelie
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Dread Pirate ship RADIO FLYER

Ahrrrrrr!!!!

« on: May 13, 2011, 12:43:48 pm »

The notes for the Yankee 30 ( http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_ID=1229 ) indicate "a few boats were built by Heritage Boat Works and Vashon Island Boat Works, both of Oregon, USA."  Vashon Island is in Puget Sound just south of Seattle in Washington, USA.  I have done some internet browsing and can't really find any thing on Vashon Island Boat Works.  Searches for Vashon and Vashon Island all point to the island in Puget sound. I don't know if the company started in Washington and moved or if the info in the remarks is incorrect of if somebody in OR just liked the name.

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground that no one would think to try and refloat it.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 08:59:49 am »

The notes for the Yankee 30 ( http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_ID=1229 ) indicate "a few boats were built by Heritage Boat Works and Vashon Island Boat Works, both of Oregon, USA."  Vashon Island is in Puget Sound just south of Seattle in Washington, USA.  I have done some internet browsing and can't really find any thing on Vashon Island Boat Works.  Searches for Vashon and Vashon Island all point to the island in Puget sound. I don't know if the company started in Washington and moved or if the info in the remarks is incorrect of if somebody in OR just liked the name.

According to an ad in the 1983 'Sailboat Buyers Guide', (which I also have a copy of), the address for Heritage Boat works was:
  400 N. 2nd Street
  Hood River, OR 97031
But this information originally came from the Yankee 30 site, which I have also listed. (one of the best of it's kind anywhere, by the way. If you haven't visited it already, I suggest you do so.)
I don't know, personally wether these later boats had a seperate hull ID.  It IS possible that these people were only a sales agent for another manufacturer.
There was an Heritage Yachts Located in Canada, but I doubt there is any connection.

RE: Vashon Island Boat Works:
Address:
P.O. Box Q
Vashon, WA 98070
I don't have a real address, but this company did exist until 1985 because they had a munfacturers Code that is recorded. (this also from the Yankee 30 site)
But I can't say for sure that they ever made a single boat of any kind.
I try to be as careful as I can to get my facts strait. So, if you have any reason to think that I am simply perpetuating an error, I'd be most grateful to hear it.

Regards,
Randy Browning

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:51:24 am by sonosail » Logged
Adelie
Member Emeritus

Boat Type: Dread Pirate ship RADIO FLYER

Ahrrrrrr!!!!

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 07:15:22 pm »

What I was getting at was that the remarks said both were of Oregon, USA, but Vashon Island is in Washington.  The address you have that I couldn't find supports this.

Unless the remarks were intending to refer to the Oregon Territory which would have included what is now referred to as Washington State.  In which case I would be thinking somebody was getting very long in the tooth. ;D

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground that no one would think to try and refloat it.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 07:37:35 am »

What I was getting at was that the remarks said both were of Oregon, USA, but Vashon Island is in Washington.  The address you have that I couldn't find supports this.

Unless the remarks were intending to refer to the Oregon Territory which would have included what is now referred to as Washington State.  In which case I would be thinking somebody was getting very long in the tooth. ;D
Got it.  I guess I really did miss the point there. I will correct that.
Thanks.
rb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length