Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 07, 2016, 07:06:45 pm
Home Help Search Login CONTACT Register
News: http://sailboatdata.com/bbs/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=news;board=11.0;limit=20

+  SailboatData.com - Forum
|-+  Main
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  ray greene nipper / slipper - help needed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ray greene nipper / slipper - help needed  (Read 6037 times)
ddykhouse22
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: ray greene - nipper or slipper (sloop rigged)

« on: May 15, 2011, 07:22:27 am »

i was given a 12' ray greene sailboat (sloop-rigged "nipper" = "slipper" i'm told), but it has no rudder/tiller mechanism. i would be willing to buy one or, if someone has the specs for that application (or a complementary one), i would pay for the specs or pay someone to fabricate one.

on a similar note, albeit less critical, the craft has no batts for the sails, but, even though i'm not handy, i could probably find those or determine how to replicate them easier than i can the rudder/tiller assemblage. help w/this is also deeply appreciated.

any and all suggestions or comments are most welcome. i'm running out of options.

dave dykhouse
ford lake
ypsilanti, michigan
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 09:51:08 am »

i was given a 12' ray greene sailboat (sloop-rigged "nipper" = "slipper" i'm told), but it has no rudder/tiller mechanism. i would be willing to buy one or, if someone has the specs for that application (or a complementary one), i would pay for the specs or pay someone to fabricate one.

on a similar note, albeit less critical, the craft has no batts for the sails, but, even though i'm not handy, i could probably find those or determine how to replicate them easier than i can the rudder/tiller assemblage. help w/this is also deeply appreciated.

any and all suggestions or comments are most welcome. i'm running out of options.

dave dykhouse
ford lake
ypsilanti, michigan

You have plenty of options.
RE  Battens:
The SIMPLIST way: Just go to a local sailmaker.  Take the sail and have them fit some new battens. You DON'T need fancy tapered battens for this boat because these can be pricey.  Make sure they check the pockets to be sure the battens will stay in,  or you can simply have them sewn in. If the sail is in bad condition, you may want to have them check it over. Get estimates first. This is their busy season right now.

Rudder:
You could TRY to find someone else who has one these boats, and go look at it. OR, there might be a junked one around. Both of these are probably long shots.

Probably you will need to adapt an existing rudder, make a new one, or have a new one made.
The simplist route, assuming you have some way of trasporting this boat:
Take it to a boatyard, or someone who knows about this stuff and have them make one for you.
This way, you will be able to use the existing fittings and you won't have to mess around trying to make it fit. You will also need a tiller (assuming you don't still have that), and there are a number of other variables that could complicate this for the non sailor, so this is the preferred route, though possibly expensive.

It would be helpful if you could find the approximate dimensions and profile of the original. But not essential. I'll keep my eyes pealed for a photo of this boat on the internet.  There are probably more of these boats near where you are since that's where they were built. But it was a long time ago. It's unlikely (though not impossible) that original plans or drawings are available.

You may also want to call these people to see if they have any suggestions.
www.idasailor.com

Hope this is enough to get you started. Let me know how it works out.

Randy Browning

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 10:02:52 am by sonosail » Logged
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 09:34:01 am »

I have found a drawing of the boat, where you can see the rudder profile.  I'll post it soon.
rb
ddykhouse22
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 04:49:53 pm »

thanx so much, randy;  i look forward to the specs.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 10:34:30 am »

thanx so much, randy;  i look forward to the specs.
Sorry, no specs.  Just a PROFILE from which you could extrapolate some basic dimensions. There is a low res version of it there now. on the record for the nipper - we assume the slipper had the same rudder, but it couldn't hurt to make it slightly deeper.  That's the best I can do.
rb
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 04:07:27 pm »

This is what's on the original drawing.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 04:10:42 pm by sonosail » Logged
ddykhouse22
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 05:33:55 pm »

thanx so much for your help.  i may have located a former ray greene employee with a tiller/rudder mechanism.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 11:37:11 am »

thanx so much for your help.  i may have located a former ray greene employee with a tiller/rudder mechanism.
Impressive. Ray Greene was one the real pioneers of FG boat contruction. Can we get him on here?
ddykhouse22
Pick-up Crew

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 12:55:36 pm »

turns out that it is lance greene, ray's son.  i will post his name and address, phone, etc. after i check with him that it is ok to do so.
sonosail
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 08:47:55 am »

turns out that it is lance greene, ray's son.  i will post his name and address, phone, etc. after i check with him that it is ok to do so.
Would be a privilege to talk to Lance Greene. However you want to do it though. Don't want to violate anyone's privacy. If you think it's workable, I'll put together some notes or specific questions to ask so as not to waste his time. Your call.

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
neel2008
Pick-up Crew

Boat Type: Ray Greene Nipper #2375

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 04:18:12 pm »

I know this thread is WELL over a year old...but I just also acquired a ray green nipper from my grandfather that really just needs a little TLC to take out, mainly just a good cleaning and double check im not missing anything....anyway, if the OP or anyone else needs any pictures of parts such as the tiller/rudder, I'd be happy to help....best place to reach me would be email me at gtp.neel@gmail.com since I probably wont be on here much....I just came across this thread while doing a google search for info on my "new" boat and decided to register in case I could help out any one. Thanks!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length