• Creator
    Topic
    David Larom
    Participant

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/celebrity
    Hi, new to this forum and wondering if anyone knows anything about the Celebrity? I’m looking for an affordable starter dinghy for a reasonably fit 220 lb 58 year old. Saw an ad for one for $1000. Have been pointed toward flying scot but this is cheaper and a little lighter. Wondering if the stubby semicircular centerboard would hurt upwind performance though. I’ve been sailing about a year on keelboats but have been advised that in a dinghy you really learn how to sail fast. Any info much appreciated

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

I have not sailed a Celebrity but understand they are a reasonably fast, stable boat. Price is always a major factor and of course the condition of the boat. A couple of other things to think about… Are there any fleets for either model in your area? Both boats appear to have similar performance numbers although the Celebrity will probably be better in light air so I wouldn’t worry about the centerboard comparison. I’m thinking the Flying Scot will be the more comfortable boat to sail. Which is a consideration as you get older (trust me!) and if you plan on having guest crew who are not necessarily sailors. All this said, the best thing to do, if you can, is sail each one. See how you like it. At the end of the day, that’s really what matters.

David Larom
    Participant

Thanks Bruce. I’m just looking for a cheap boat to get started but am concerned that the Scot can’t be righted after a capsize and isn’t easy to singlehand.

Sounds to me like you are drawn to the Celebrity. Great looking boat. Have you been to the builder’s site? https://www.southportislandmarine.com/celebritysloopmore. They have a little background on the boat there.

David Larom
    Participant

Hi Bruce, thanks. After a lot of research I settled on a very different dinghy – the Coronado 15 – and bought one as my first boat. Not as classic looking but much easier to get on/off the trailer singlehanded, and lots available for sale in my area.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.