• Creator
    Topic
    Robert
    Participant

Hello All, thank you for taking the time in reading this post.
    I am finding it difficult to make a decision on what size outboard to buy for my Hurley 20. When buying the boat as bit of a project the old Johnson 8hp outboard had been left in the water for a number of years so was written off.
    Now that I’m looking at a new outboard that are all 4 stroke they seem to be a lot bigger in physical size. So my question to anyone who has a Hurley 20 is what’s the biggest size outboard that can fit in the outboard well and what HP rating would you recommend.
    I calculated that I would need a 4hp but there’s a lot of disagreement at my club, as they feel that its not enough to punch a 4 knot tide. (my boat is in a very strong tidal river)
    Thanks for taking the time in helping me
    Rob

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    David Harlock avatar 1681692420David Harlock
    Participant

I owned a Hurley 20 in the mid-1970’s when living on the Isle of Wight where the Solent tides really raced. A Yamaha 8hp pushed us along very well indeed. I owned another outboard – an Ailsa Craig 4hp – and I gave that a go. It did the job but not so quickly. The much lighter weight and better fuel economy were attractive, as was the air cooling. No impellers to worry about was a bonus.

Cary McDonald
    Participant

For 2023 Tohatsu makes a 6hp motor that’s SMALL, yet has a generator for maintaining a 12VDC system.

Google: Tohatsu 6 HP MFS6DWSPROL SailPro Outboard

Tohatsu makes ALL the 8hp – 25hp outboards NO MATTER what brand is touted as the ‘maker.’ Further, even starting at their 9.9 hp motors (which replaced the 8’s and 9.8hp’s… it’s FI (fuel injected), such that carb issues with methanol laced gas… isn’t as much of a problem (dunno about the 6hp). NOTE: they make a propane version of this motor rated at 5hp. That’s gotta be the ‘bomb’ as propane never ‘sticks’ a float bowl, nor washes down the rings.

Further, for those reading this far, and have 28 to 35 footers, their 20hp FI engine weighs in THE SAME as their 9.9 model. (Add extra weight for hydraulic tilt, long shaft, electric start). (95 pounds)
    Note; these motors are SO QUIET you cannot hear them in the cabin, and if idling, you barely know that they are running if next to it.
    Tohatsu can fit them with ‘all the accessories,’ but for the 9.8’s and above, you’ve got to find your own ‘7 knot’ high torque prop; they won’t ship with one. Also, if you see online overseas ads for these motors at a markedly lower price… don’t do it… it’s fraud.
    Cary

Robert
    Participant

Thank you for your replys

I have since put my boat onto the hard standing and have been working on her over winter. @tattersalad I have looked into the tohatsu 6hp sail drive and would like to purchase it, just having issues with working out if it would physically fit the boat as when they built these hurleys in the late 70s 4 stroke wasnt a thing. As far as my research has gone, new outboards are all mounted in a different way, they sit lower on the transom.
    I have a outboard man coming this week to try and fit a 4strok onboard so will post results if it works or not.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.