• Creator
    Topic
    Teddy
    Participant

So, I finally managed to purchase a boat and of course it needs some work… like a few of the blocks need to be replaced.

Do I’m trying to figure out what to order, and I’m looking at pictures on line, and they all look pretty much the same, but they are different sizes… I can’t get any sense of scale. So I think I need to measure the blocks that I need, but I don’t know what measurements I need.

On a fiddle block, specifically, what is/are the measurements I need? sheave size? distance between the sheave centers? Which? and of course, none of the ones I see online have a drawing showing where the measurements are from. Standard blocks are a bit easier… they pretty much are what they are. A 2″ diameter sheave that carries an 1/2″ line, or some such.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

JH

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Mark Ayers
    Participant

JH, I would use the originial blocks as a reference for size/ ratio. the Fiddle blocks should be easy to locate and the measurements are going to mostly relate to line size. Sheave diameter will affect your ratio, but distance between the sheaves should not. Most sheaves should have a max line size. On the Blocks, you can always go up in value, for example if you have 3:1 blocks you can always go to 4:1 it will require slightly more line, but will be easier to sheet in, and give you more power, but if you go down for example from 3:1 to 2:1 you can sheet in faster with less line, but your power goes down and effort goes up. Line size is really a personal preference as long as the working load is within range of what your boat needs. In either case, your original blocks should be a good place to start. I hope this helps Mark

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.