• Creator
    Topic
    Bill Mccarthy
    Participant

Hi, can anyone give me a PHRF rating for an X-442. either buoy or off shore.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    IMG 1724PaulK
    Participant

For the YRALIS the base rating for the X-442 is 42 across the board, for spinnaker, non spinnaker, buoy and long-distance. Various things like propeller type and genoa, spinnaker or sprit size may lead to adjustments from the base.

Bill Mccarthy
    Participant

Sorry I am Australian. What is YRALS?

YRALIS is the Yacht Racing Association of Long Island Sound (LIS is water just east of New York, between Connecticut and Long Island.

The thing about PHRF is that the handicaps are assigned by local fleets. So geographic location matters. According to US Sailing the base rating for the X442 is:

Fleet——————–Sec / Mile.
    EAST LONG ISLAND 45
    EASTERN CONN 36
    NARRAGANSETT BAY. 36
    NEW ENGLAND 36
    NO CALIFORNIA 36
    YRALIS-PHRF. 33 (psk125 is correct however, the YRALIS website currently shows a rating of 42 across the board.
    Hope this helps.

Bill Mccarthy
    Participant

Thanks Bruce, Thats great. I was trying to compare mine to a couple of local boats but I see apples arn’t necessarily apples.

IMG 1724PaulK
    Participant

PHRF ratings vary by region because they are set up to reflect how different boats perform in the different regions. Long Island Sound generally has relatively light wind (10-12 knots) with small waves (up to .75m). Narragansett Bay and Northern California tend to have stronger breezes – 15-20 knots, with heftier waves 1- 1.5m. The ratings for the X442 show that they do not seem to be super fast in light air, but perform better when the breeze picks up and their size enables them to cut through the waves. To compare your boat with others using PHRF ratings you should first find a PHRF region with characteristics similar to those where you sail. Then look up the ratings for the different boats in that region. This will obviously work better for widely spread production models like Beneteaux, which will have people racing them in PHRF fleets in the US as well as in Australia. PHRF Committees don’t issue ratings for boats that aren’t racing in their area, so you probably won’t find US PHRF ratings for Stevens 34’s, for example, because there aren’t many sailed here. I spoke with X-Yacht’s Nils Jeppsen once at the Paris Boat Show and was impressed with how well his boats were put together. Their performance has also been impressive.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.