Douglass & McLeod

1951 - 1971

Founded by Ray McLeod and Sandy Douglass. They began by finishing molded ply hulls of International 14's and the Douglas designed THISTLE and HIGHLANDER. They switched to fiberglass 1961, and introduced the S&S designed TARTAN 27 which became an instant success. In 1971, their primary manufacturing facility in Grand River, Ohio was destroyed by fire. Charles Britton, a partner at the time, bought out what was left of the company and founded Tartan Marine.

Sailboats Built By Douglass & McLeod

(Dates indicate when boat was first built by any builder)

Model LOA First Built
BLACK WATCH 37 37.00 ft / 11.28 m 1965
C-LARK 14.00 ft / 4.27 m 1964
D&M 22 22.00 ft / 6.71 m 1971
FLYING SCOT 19.00 ft / 5.79 m 1958
GREAT LAKES 21 21.00 ft / 6.40 m 1938
HIGHLANDER 20.00 ft / 6.10 m 1951
TARTAN 27 27.00 ft / 8.23 m 1961
TARTAN 27 YAWL 27.00 ft / 8.23 m 1961
THISTLE 17.00 ft / 5.18 m 1945


.