Rig and Sail Particulars
The original Alerion was designed in 1912 by Nathanael G. Herreshoff for his personal use. (Originally gaff rigged as it is now displayed at Mystic Seaport, though he had switched to a marconi sloop in his later years - ) Various copies and near copies have been built from wood or Fiberglass. A number of wood replicas were built by Sanford Boat Co. from 1975-83.As of 2006, Rumery's Boat Yard at Biddeford, Maine built a Fiberglass version that is very close to the original. Another glass version (slightly different lines) was built by Carroll Marine and some others.