Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Phil Cady
    Participant

Hi, I’m looking at a buying a ’74 Coronado sloop and wanted to get any info I could before taking the plunge. It has a Yanmar diesel w/ approx 500hrs on it, but more importantly I’m concerned about the hull and it’s sailing characteristics. Any info appreciated, thanks!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Mark Ayers
    Participant

What length is your Coronado? I have a 1974 23-2 designed by Alan Payne. this company was started by Frank Butler and he later sold and started Catalina. mine is well designed and built. the Yanmar was probably added later, I think in 74 all they were using was Atomic 4. Mine is a shoal draft and great for shallow water, but does sacrifice some upwind ability for the shallow draft.

Phil Cady
    Participant

It’s a 35 ft and I think it is also the shoal keel. How easy is it to singlehand?

Mark Ayers
    Participant

it is doable… I’m not sure where your winches are mounted, but if you have a furler on the foresail and the winches are reachable from the helm, it should be fantastic! Practice makes perfect especially when docking in a cross wind. If you have an Inboard motor, be mindful of your prop walk and use it to your advantage. Mark

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.