Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Gregory Deans
    Participant

I have purchased an AMF Apollo 16 and am struggling with the Forward Mast stay and roller furling bow hook up. It is a different configuration than I have ever experienced. Not sure if something is missing or I am just not smart enough to figure it out …. Can’t seem to find any info on rigging.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    IMG 1724PaulK
    Participant

Interesting. Looks like the tang is where the forestay should go. The block mounted further forward seems strange, but could the roller-furler line lead to it, and then aft on one side or the other, to keep the roller-furler line close to the gunwale so it doesn’t cut so much into cockpit space? What does the bottom of the forestay & r/f gear look like?

Gregory Deans
    Participant

There is a bungee cord on the right with a hook leading forward from a 2 ft knotted length on a line guide. On the left is a rope cleat also pointing forward. That is why I am confused. It came from the factory this way.

IMG 1724PaulK
    Participant

Picture showing all the pieces in position could be helpful. The cleat to port sounds like where the roller-furler line gets finished off. What is a “line guide”? A fairlead? A padeye? Could the shock-cord hook be something to hold the mainsail furled around the boom when it’s not hoisted?

Your best bet may be to step the mast and try to figure out where things logically want to go. Had to do this with my 505. It has controls for mast rake, mast bend, cunningham, main and spinnaker halyards, vang, trapeze wires, spinnaker pole launchers and shrouds, all coming out around the foot of the mast and having to get led back in the cockpit so they can be adjusted while sailing. It all makes sense now, but until the mast was in place, it was an incredible tangle of spaghetti.

Gregory Deans
    Participant

Thanks folks… I stepped the mast and am somewhat perplexed … It looks like the forestay goes through the bow roller and attaches to a shock cord below the pully. I am used to a hard-wired mast stay. The roller furling has a permanent stay wire through it as well and appears to be an intricate part of the layout. Anyone have any thoughts or have seen a set up like this?

IMG 1724PaulK
    Participant

If you study this picture: https://www.google.com/search?q=AMF+Apollo+16+sailboat&client=safari&rls=en&sxsrf=ACYBGNRHN4vvMsqMWthZhs1rq0Ihh327Gw:1581386506669&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=kJAB05x7CD4EBM%3A%2CxKmrXwlO6EiP8M%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kS9KnNhkLiH_yX0UoA265UTvcdWgw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj43e3ns8jnAhXNxVkKHXh4CSMQ9QEwAHoECAoQBA#imgrc=_v4igEi05qJzaM
    it shows that the jib (and therefore the roller-furler) does not go through the bow roller, but attaches to the tang a little way back from the roller. Other pictures of rigged Apollo 16’s show the same relationship.
    The diagram on Sailboatdata shows this same setup, PLUS what looks like your other “forestay” going further forward – perhaps to your roller at the bow. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/apollo-16 Hard to say why it would be like that. Perhaps to hold up the mast when the jib wasn’t hoisted? Can you attach some pictures so we can see what you’re dealing with?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.