Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Brandon Ford
    Participant

I bought a 1971 Columbia 43 Mk I about six years ago. Her name is Oceanus and before it was in Newport, Ore., (where we bought it) it was in Marina Del Rey. I’d be interested in any stories about this boat or her sister ships.

I recently wrote a sailboat review for Good Old Boat magazine featuring Adios, a 1970 Columbia 43 mark I in Portland, Ore. It was published in the May/June 2018 issue.

This is a great boat! It’s fast and seaworthy. We sailed her more than 10,000 miles from Oregon to Mexico then to Hawaii and Olympia, Wash.

If you love your boat too, share your stories. I’d love to have a web site devoted to this great design like the Columbia 50 owners have. Any volunteers to help?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    James Maivald
    Participant

I have a Columbia 10.7 so a slightly smaller model than yours. I am slowly fixing it up and getting her ready for cruising. We do some short distance cruising now on Lake Michigan, but I’m interested in spending extended time on her in the coming years. Stay tuned.

Mike Beresford
    Participant

Hi Brandon, have read your entire ‘Log of Hagoth’ story, excellent reading and I am just about to buy a 43 Mk 1 which is in Asia and a bit neglected…the only real worry for me is a crappy repair to some damage to the keel area…any chance I could send you photos privately to see what you think ? I have seen many 43s’ with a normal crack around the keel insert but this one is a bit weird !! Best regards,
    Mike

Brandon Ford
    Participant

Hi Mike. How exciting. I would love to help. Is the vessel you are looking at Blackfish? It looks like a good boat. I may know the back story on the boat too. It also has the coolest hard dodger ever on any boat.

I think you have my email. I look forward to talking with you.
    Brandon

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.