• Creator
    Topic
    Teddy
    Participant

RCW governing sale of “vessels” over 35’ and 40 years old

Was looking at a 1981 Kadey-Krogen 38 Cutter… owned by the Port. But apparently they can’t sell it because it needs to go through their “surplus” procedures and be auctioned off, and by the time they could get it to auction it would be 40 years old. So, they are going to let the DNR take it (reimburse them a few $$$) and the DNR will crush it and put it in a land fill. The only thing keeping it out of the water is a through hull that needs to be fixed (either replaced or filled in). And it needs bottom coat and paint.

Lots of work inside, but nothing too terrible. Was looking at it to go cruising on, but it’s going to get crushed, and there doesn’t seem to be anything I can do to stop it. One of a total of 85 made – it both sickens and saddens me.

What a waste. I’ve tried to think of how to save it, but it appears to be out of my hands at this point. Frankly, I get that folks are concerned about derelict boats and people that can’t afford to store them or keep them up, but it just seems a bit heavy handed.

Just had to get it off my chest – we’ve been trying to work this deal for nearly a month, and just found this out today.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    John
    Participant

When did this happen? I bought my 53 year old sailboat at auction last year. I’m looking at a similar one coming up for auction soon. I think that’s a decision being made by your marina, not state laws.

Teddy
    Participant

Well, we just found out about it about 10 days ago. The relavent law is:

RCW 79.100.150

Of course, she’s not over 40 years old at this time, but by the time she goes through the process of being surplused and an auction can happen she will be over 40 (she is just 40 now, next year she will be 41 … over 40).

As for the decision being made by the marina not the state law … well, I think the state law is pretty clear about it… and it pretty much doesn’t matter much since the marina is owned by a government entity created specifically to manage the port.

We are also looking at other boats coming up for auction soon – that are even older than this one – but as far as we are aware of, they are seaworthy. If you don’t mind, where is the one you’re looking at, at?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.