• Creator
    Topic
    Yanni Nikopoulos
    Participant

I am about to go and look at a Goderitch 35 for possibly and most likely buy her. Any info or Drawbacks? I have seen only pictures of her and I have no idea what to look for. I never owned a steel boat and don’t know what engine she has. It will be replaced with Yanmar as soon as I find one in good terms. So please let me know.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Byron
    Participant

If you are talking about the one in south Florida, the ad shows a rebuilt Perkins diesel that goes with the boat but would need to be installed. I am curious about this boat, too. It’s been on the market for a while. I am afraid that for $16k, there must be something expensive needing attention. A well-equipped, professionally built boat designed by Brewer ought to bring more, doncha think?

I’ve never owned a steel boat either: I don’t know how to weld, and I understand they melt in salt water if not well maintained. So I have not sprung for one. Also I recall that Eric Hiscock hated his steel boat, I think it was Wanderer IV. He discovered he preferred the buoyancy of wood. FWIW. Good luck with your quest.

Yanni Nikopoulos
    Participant

I am referring to one up here in Toronto Ontario. I wasn’t aware of the one in Florida. The guy here is asking 15K. I went to see it last Wednesday. The hull is epoxy coated in all of them and then painted. This one had a fair amount of coats.
    I know how to treat and relate steel as a profession. It has a westerbeke in it. But the it has a fair amount of work to be done down bellow. I mean it’s a wreck. It will take me some time to figure out where to start. Nothing close to photoes he sent me. I like steel hull for ocean crossing because there is hundreds of shipping containers floating just below the water surface. On my previous boat I had a forward facing sounder installed for that reason. Now if I will be buying this boat I will need a space to move it to to work on it. So that’s my problem now.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.