• Creator
    Topic
    Palantir
    Participant

Hi folks – I’m hoping someone can help me identify the designer/builder of this sailboat. She was built in the early 70s and came with a Volvo Penta MD11C!) . . . she’s 30’, with cutter rigging and a fiberglass hull – let me know if you require more info. And thanks in advance.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    IMG 1724PaulK
    Participant

The bowsprit made me think “Cape George”. They make one that’s 31’ .
    https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cape-george-31.
    Hard to tell without a view of the rudder setup and spreaders. The Cape George 31 has a transom-hung rudder, two sets of spreaders and only has four portholes in the cabin trunk, so perhaps not.

Palantir
    Participant

I don’t think she’s a Cape George. The rudder hangs off the keel and it has only one spreader. I’m getting the feeling that this is a backyard build by a very, very, very competent builder – mayhaps a full-time boat builder who decided to do a one-off for his own use? I’d like to upload more photos – but, I’m a new user and can’t. Thanks for trying.

Phil Froman
    Participant

I believe that may be a Cape Dory 30C or a 30K modified into a 30C.
    The five ports were more common on the K, but that’s not to say they didn’t build a few 30c’s that way. If it’s later than 1972 a hull number should be available and you can decipher the builder from that. The boat may be documented and you can search the boats name in the database for more information- https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/foss/f?p=215:4:11569857015013:::::

Palantir
    Participant

I’m of the mind it’s a CD 30C/K as well . . . just with round portholes. I haven’t located a hull number yet – I can’t see anything on the transom/stern. There is an expired boat license number on the bow but when I look it up in the database nothing shows up. The guy I bought it off of had no idea what it was – I think he advertised it as an Alberg or something. Thanks for the info.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.