• Creator
    Topic
    Aaron F. Silvers
    Participant

Hey there forum. So I was gifted a free Edel 540 sailboat and I am lucky to have her. But right now I have a giant paperweight if I can’t a damn mast! So, I am new to sailing and was wanting to know if anybody could point me in the right direction to finding one.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    IMG 1724PaulK
    Participant

You are starting to find out why a free boat is the most expensive one. Seldèn could probably provide you a new mast, but it would likely cost quite a bit. Do you have the sails? Looking for used spars online may unearth something, or it may not. The quickest solution might be to find a rigger nearby who could perhaps re-rig an existing mast to fit your sails. He may know that a Catalina 22 or some other mast could be cut down to the right size for you, for example. Paying for his knowledge might be well worthwhile.

Aaron F. Silvers
    Participant

Freakin awesome! It does come with the sails and the boom.

Aaron F. Silvers
    Participant

what I don’t know is what size the original mast was.

IMG 1724PaulK
    Participant

This should help:
    https://www.sailrite.com/Edel-540-Sail-Data

Since the mast is stepped on the cabin top and the plan shown on Sailboatdata.com is to scale, the rigger should be able to figure things out. You could also look for an owner’s group online. Since the boat was built in Canada as well as France, there must be some others around too.

Aaron F. Silvers
    Participant

ya, I have been on that site and I didn’t know alot of the lingo so I don’t know what the mast length was.

IMG 1724PaulK
    Participant

The length you need is the I measurement, since the mast is stepped on the cabin top. 6071mm. The rigger will need to figure out what might work for you. Maybe a Lightining mast. Maybe he has a boom from a bigger boat lying around that would fit the bill. Do the sails have slugs, slides, or just a luff rope? Each detail makes a difference. That’s why you need to find a rigger.

Aaron F. Silvers
    Participant

I don’t know what the sails have. I haven’t taken them out yet and had a good look at them. I am new to sailing. I have always wanted to learn and you ,my friend have been a big help and I thank you.

DarSailor
    Participant

Hello, Franklin. I was sailing Edel 540 some time ago. Good boat for a beginner. According to my (unreliable) records, mast height was 7.5 meters with the fractional rig of 7/8. Roughly, the forestay was tied to the mast 1 meter below the top. The rig had simple round aluminum spreaders (slightly bent afterward), and there were two pairs of shrouds, one pair from the top of the mast through the spreader ends, and the second pair from the middle of the mast, right below the spreaders. I can not recall the diameter of the mast, but it was an aluminum, oval profile, possibly somewhere around 25 cm. There also was a backstay, going from the top of the mast to the transom. I was using a 10 mm rope for it with the pulley system for adjustments. As for as the mast was deck-stepped, the rig always had some freedom, i.e. never was too tense.
    Hopefully, this info will help you. Also, I can try to reach locally for a person who is still sailing this boat in case you would require more precise info.
    Regards.

Aaron F. Silvers
    Participant

Hey there zonis,thanks very much for the info. You have been alot of help. Do you no longer have the boat?

DarSailor
    Participant

No, I do not own this boat anymore.

Aaron F. Silvers
    Participant

Hi there Zonis. was wondering if you could reach out to the person who is sailing that edel 540 for me. Would love to have some more info on the mast. I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. I honestly forgot about this forum

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.