• Creator
    Topic
    Gareth Brown
    Participant

Hello Im new to this site and would like to see if anyone out there could lend some advice. I have a San Juan 28 that I purchased from a friend in coastal Alaska. It is my first boat and I have been gaining experience doing short trips (2-10 days) on Prince William Sound. As our trips have become longer and we are traveling farther from port I’ve wanted to install a backup motor in case I have engine troubles that I can’t trouble shoot in the field and there is no wind. I purchased a brand new Suzuki 9.9 4 stroke long shaft and am preparing to install this Spring. Does anyone have experience with this and know how much vertical travel I should be looking for on a motor lift? I’ve been recommended a Garelick OB motor bracket 7. Any thoughts?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Paul Jeeves
    Participant

Like most things on sailboats, it’s gonna be a compromise between various things. You’ll need to get the prop deep enough into the water that it’s effective (at LEAST 1 ½ times the prop diameter) and be able to lift the prop far enough out of the water so that it doesn’t create drag when under sail (and when heeled over).

Storing the gas is another matter. I assume that the main engine is diesel, so you’ve likely not given the diesel fuel much thought. Remember that gasoline is different. The fumes like to run downhill, so even storing gas topside does not prevent the fumes from flowing along your deck, down any hatchway and in the cabin or bilge where a spark from an electric motor, stove, etc can cause a bit of a bang. In other words, give carful consideration to where you store the gas for the outboard.

Good luck with the project.

Gareth Brown
    Participant

Very helpful thanks Paul! I have a fairly good sized lazarete on the port side that I believe could be a good option for gas storage.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.