Tagged: 

This is the first time dey9999 has posted — let’s welcome them to our community!

• Creator
    Topic
    dey9999
    Participant

Is it possible for me or an admin to run a SQL like query on the sailboat data? I want a list of:
    All Sailboats where
    LOA > 33 feet
    And (LOA – LWL) < 5 feet sorted by comfort level

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    dey9999
    Participant

anyone, anyone… Beuler, Beuler anyone…?

Sorry for the delayed response. We typically don’t make access to our database available to third parties. While your intensions might be honorable, there are too many unscrupulous people out there. Some with sites they started by taking our database without authorization. We are also hesitant to send out large portions of our database as once we do, we lose control over how it’s used.

One of our red flags is a request that includes boats with a large range. This makes us believe there is commercial intent. Your request, for example, includes boats with an LOA of 33′ up to 80+’. We tend to question why such a range? It doesn’t seem realistic for someone to be in the market for a 33 footer and/or even a 50 footer, let alone an 80 footer.

When we do work with third parties to send all, or a large portion of our database, we require a User Agreement to be in place. This agreement will outline very specifically how the database can be used.

We also, typically, ask for a fair market price. Keep in mind, we have been working on our database for the past 20 years. Building it by hand, one boat at a time. If you are asking for commercial purposes, we think purchasing the data is a reasonable request.

We are happy to discuss this further if you want. If so, please email us at contact@sailboatdata.com

Thanks, we hope you understand.

dey9999
    Participant

Hi Bruce,
    Thanks. I see your point about too many boats and my credibility. The Query I provided was just an example. I’m really not interested in any boats over 45 feet. Plus I would add these other qualifier,
    only boats newer than 1990, boat type = monohull, beam > 11, sail type = sloop

So the query would look more like this:
    All Sailboats where
    LOA > 33 feet
    And (LOA – LWL) < 5 feet
    And LOA < 46 feet
    And year_built > 1989
    And beam > 11 feet
    And sail_type = sloop
    sorted by comfort level

Is there any chance you could run the query and just send me a list of the boat model names? That should narrow it down to something worthless to someone attempting to plagiarize.

IMG 1724PaulK
    Participant

The best way to get this information quickly might be to perform a search that includes as many of the options as can be made at once and then do another one or two including the other criteria. You will still end up with too many boats to actually be useful, not to mention that the “comfort level” criterion is not especially valid.(It’s a calculated figure that gets warped as different hull styles come in and out of fashion.)
    If you’re looking for a boat it makes more sense to see what there is for sale. . There’s no point in doing hours of investigation into hundreds of designs in order to learn that the Sealark 38 is the optimal boat for your needs and then find out that only three of them were built in 1980 at a shipyard in Croatia. Weeks more research and you could learn that one of them was run down off Bari on her maiden voyage by a Panamanian-flagged tanker, the second sank after hitting a rock off Dubrovnik in 1994. That the third is for sale in Sevastopol for 3,000 rubles and probably needs 600,000 rubles of work done to be made seaworthy again is not going to help you.

dey9999
    Participant

Paul K I see your point. Just seeing what’s for sale is the way I’ve been doing it, drilling in to a boat that I think looks good only to find out the model doesn’t meet my basic criteria and putting it on my good or bad list. This takes about 5 minutes on average per listing. There are a lot of boats for sale. If I could generate the good list of a handful of sailboats from a database it would save me time. Also note that comfort level is not a criteria its just a sort to give me an idea for the difference between similar sailboats.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by dey9999.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by dey9999.
    IMG 1724PaulK
    Participant

“Comfort level” is sort of like an equation that tells you that a Lamborghini TestaRossa is equivalent to a Cadillac Seville because they both have big leather seats. Not really useful.

dey9999
    Participant

Paulk thanks again for your wisdom. I have analyzed the formula for the metric in detail and understand what its measuring. But also realize the formula was created as a joke even though the elements do give some loose indication of stability in rough seas. Thus I only use it as a secondary comparison, not a filter.

Bruce I am still interested in getting a list of boats to speed my search. But I see I am getting some solid resistance. If my request is futile tell me.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.