Tagged: 

This is the first time Margaret Wilton has posted — let’s welcome them to our community!

• Creator
    Topic
    Margaret Wilton
    Participant

Hi there,
    I just purchased a CS 22 and the swing keel won’t come down. The last owner said if you motor for about 5 minutes it will. Famous last words. I motored for 35 and sailed for 20 and no luck. The pennant was replaced five years ago and appears to be in good shape. Any suggestions on how to encourage her to come down? Hoping not to have to take her out with the crane. Any help would be appreciated.
    Always,
    Margaret

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    IMG 1724PaulK
    Participant

Lots of possible reasons for this to happen. Marine growth (zebra mussels?) in the centerboard slot, or rocks from a grounding could be jamming it. Taking a swim to have a look-see might help determine the problem.You may be able to stick an oar or paddle between the hull and the board and persuade it to move.

Margaret Wilton
    Participant

Thanks Paul. Much appreciated. Swimming it is! Fingers. Eyes. Toes. All crossed!
    Always,
    Margaret

I’ve read that with many swing keel boats, a pry bar is a required tool to have, for that reason. I like swing keels a bunch!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.